Overwinter onions from seed

hdan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
North, too.

Texas Grano was once tried and I learned why short-day onions aren't recommended for 48⁰N — formed bulbs while still tiny!

Candy from sets, purchased plants, @flowerbug ? I planted Candy seed in the greenhouse again this Winter. They are already out in the garden (& subject to this morning’s 28°f).

My over-wintering of Walla Walla was unsuccessful (from a valley 200 miles south in WA). The 2nd year, 100% of the plants bolted — before forming bulb. This was after a cold Winter and a relatively poor performance after a try the year before.

Steve, Best of Luck, @hdan – it should work in zone 7
I have a few onions in containers I planted last fall. Over half them have bolted. Haven't harvested any yet because still green and standing tall. I know bolted onions need to be harvested within a month because they won't store as long. Do the bolted onions need to be kept dry during this time is what I'm asking because have some in container that hasn't bolted and may need watered while bolted onions may not need or require water. Would be a difficult task in same container.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know nothing about storing bolted onions.

I have only saved seed from a hybrid shallot variety curious about offspring.

Allium cepa is a biennial. Perhaps blooming plants are edible. I really don't know.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know nothing about storing bolted onions.

I have only saved seed from a hybrid shallot variety curious about offspring.

Allium cepa is a biennial. Perhaps blooming plants are edible. I really don't know.

yes, onions are edible when starting their blooming but i don't think there's much bulb there and the flower stalk may go around or through the bulb making it oddly shaped for cutting/cooking. the stalk and flowers are even edible if they're not tough or dried out. the only thing i've heard not being edible is the seeds.

Latest posts