One Alaskans greenhouse

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is something that I have tried, frog legs.

It seems silly to say so but ... they tasted like chicken ;).

Hunting/Fishing for them was fun, the 2 times I went. However, it amounted to very little for the table.

Steve 🦦

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@One Alaskans greenhouse, I have heard of people eating frog legs. I cannot believe that people would eat or even attempt to cook them. I vaguely remember the time I watched them being cooked in a cast iron skillet with a lid and for a child to see the food jump out of the pan, I am so good. I hope anyone that can eat them to eat WELL. I don't know that I have ever ate them but the image is enough to keep me away from them. I am not condemning anyone that can or chooses to eat them I am just saying my childhood experience.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Frog legs must be an “acquired taste thing”, kinda had an off taste to me. They are a big hit at the state fair where more are probably bought on “a dare” than for culinary quality.

i’ve heard about the nerve twitch thing tossing them out of a pan but never seen it. No better than they are to eat, folks might be better off just picking up the roadkill dead ones, smashed flat and been there a while; i bet they wouldn't jump no more!😉

Back on track:
My TV antenna conversion is done. Yesterday that antenna was mounted to the pole which was set in cement 3 ft deep. I also drove the ground rod between a couple Cherry trees and hooked up the wires.

If you can scroll to open the first picture larger you see the copper antenna tape I wrapped on all the stays. I just used 12-3 direct burry wire and hooked them in place of the 2 antenna connections. The other end of the wire was buried from the base of the pole over to the ground rod; between the trees.

In the greenhouse I noticed a couple cuke flowers! It makes my day when we’re back to eating our own!

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The peas move went well and the outside leg of the irrigation was commissioned so they’ll water daily. Moving these large pots in and out for hardening is too much work and a couple years ago i stumbled onto this which has worked well; so far. I always move them out on an overcast day and shove 5 hoops into the ground over the length. Then i clip a section of poly in a way that i can easily open the front side. Next i drape a piece of shade cloth over the whole thing, which will come off in a couple days. After about a week of this it’ll all be removed and utilized over the Pumpkins and Artichokes after bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Worked the compost over this morning, as i do every year; but today i took a few pictures to aid the story.
Each of these enclosures are 12 ft long and 6 ft deep. There’s 2 of them. A movable divider is used to further divide that space and i’ve settled on 5ft based on knowing what i’ll generate. The bottom 12-18 inches of the pile is the end of last years garden refuse along with all the grass clippings. On top of that is 8-12 inches of compacted leaves from fall’s gathering and the remaining 20-24 inches is rabbit poop, bedding and kitchen scraps. With the divider out and the gate open i’ll fork it all over to the other side; inverting the pile along the way. I will turn it twice before fall.
Lotta work, low stress though and the end product is pretty nice. All inputs are 100% Organic. No strange ingredients that i cant identify.

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg