Anyone Have Experience Introducing Gopher Snakes for Rodent Control?

humanwildlifecontrols

Garden lurker
Reaction score
14222 Old Hwy 59N, Splendora, TX 77372, USA
I'm looking for natural ways to manage a rodent problem on my property and came across the idea of using gopher snakes. I’ve read that they can be effective in controlling rodent populations, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has actually tried this method.

• How effective are gopher snakes at controlling rodents?
  • Are there any specific conditions or environments where they work best?
  • What are the potential challenges or downsides of using gopher snakes for this?
  • Any tips on how to introduce and support them in a new area?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
are they native to your area? i suspect that from what i know of rodents is that if you add any sort of structures to support or encourage the snakes you will also be adding more habitat for the rodents.

hmm, flat rocks with a very simple space underneath that only a snake would use.

do you have rattlesnakes around? wouldn't that also encourge them?

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm looking for natural ways to manage a rodent problem on my property and came across the idea of using gopher snakes. I’ve read that they can be effective in controlling rodent populations, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has actually tried this method.

• What are the potential challenges or downsides of using gopher snakes for this?
You might want to take your actual address off of your profile. State or usda hardiness zone is close enough for most purposes here.

And, :welcome

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Highly unlikely I read they eat every 4-weeks . If you have more than one gopher it’s not going to eliminate them all or if Texas allows snakes in your region.

Call your local extension service at your county or horticulture dept at Texas State University. Never heard of snakes being used to elimainte gophers . However I have a lot of good gopher traps that work perfectly.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The best way is to trap them. Remove the food gophers like. Don’t expect to have a fancy garden when goohers are in the area. Cats do pretty good. But gopher traps is a sure thing. I have caught several in spring with traps . It’s usually only a few gophers , they are territorial and don’t share . Haven’t had any more since May 3rd. By doing the trapping and no food.

I read that Gopher snakes get their name from the fact that they often find their homes in abandoned rodent burrows. Gopher snakes primarily eat mammals like rats, mice, rabbits or squirrels but they’re great climbers and also raid bird nests.