Beets...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pulled the beets and pickled them for Dew yesterday:

I got 8 pints out of that little patch, so not too bad.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dew likes them simple. I use 4 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons pickling salt. I cook the beets for about 1/2 hour, then trim off the stems and roots, slip off the skins, and slice. Then simmer them 5 minutes in the vinegar mix. Pack the jars and waterbath for 35 minutes. Really easy. Dew loves them, but personally, I'll pass...:sick

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Monty, with you being such a great bbq er and now those beautiful beets, you tell Dew that I sure wish she could clone you!

Mary

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have always HATED beets - but that is such a beautiful harvest. I saved your recipe so I can try it. maybe this will be the recipe that turns me on to beets. do you just hate beets in general, or is it this recipe you don't like? that was sure nice of you to put those up for her.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Dew likes them simple. I use 4 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons pickling salt. I cook the beets for about 1/2 hour, then trim off the stems and roots, slip off the skins, and slice. Then simmer them 5 minutes in the vinegar mix. Pack the jars and waterbath for 35 minutes. Really easy. Dew loves them, but personally, I'll pass...:sick
Thanks. I canned enough earlier to last us for canned beets but left the small ones for later to give them a chance to grow. Its about time to get them. I was thinking of pickling these since they are excess and I can play with them a bit.

I like beets. Sometimes we just open a jar, put a bit of salt and pepper, and thats it. I sometimes glaze beets. After they are cooked mix some brown sugar, vinegar, and juice (apple or orange) bring that to a boil, then put in the beets stirring constantly until they are glazed.

I made Hoodats recipe for our 32nd anniversary. Thats just sour cream, lemon zest, salt and pepper, mix them and refrigerate a few hours to mix the flavors. When she tasted them, my wife said These beets are good.

Latest posts