Cauliflower Trees

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, has anyone else ever had their cauliflower grow this big and never produce a head? I put these in the ground at the end of March! And nothing but lots of growth.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to wait until the head starts to form, then you tie the leaves together to blanche it. I use a strong rubber band.

BDR, mine did not get that big nor did they take that long to form a head. Can't help you. Sorry.

BTW my chickens love the leaves.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cauliflower is a very sensitive plant as far as heat goes. So I don't think they will form a head in the heat. It might have gotten too hot too fast. Try planting a bit sooner or maybe a fall crop.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I am keeping an eye on these monsters and if they fail to at least LOOK like they are going to do something I will yank them out and hang 'em up for the goats to munch.

chickenchalupa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Maybe you have too much nitrogin in your soil. I've heard that if there is too much, plants will just grow tons of leaves and not produce any fruit.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Well, I am keeping an eye on these monsters and if they fail to at least LOOK like they are going to do something I will yank them out and hang 'em up for the goats to munch.
I'm betting on the goats. When mine got like that they never did produce a head.

THANX RICH

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I checked them real close yesterday and believe it or not they are finally producing heads! I'm shocked! So perhaps I just planted them too late, it got too hot and now that we've had all this rainy cool weather the cauliflower is finally happy. Tomatoes on the other hand, gripe at me every time I walk to the garden :rolleyes:

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am way from being an expert, but I think that is called "bolting". As far as I can find out bolting is when growth goes to seed before fruiting. I am not sure if I know what I am talking about ...but some of my veggies also did the same thing. :barnie

It has something to do with unusual weather fluctuations. And hey.havent we had just a little of that lately? :he

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had spinach, radish and lettuce go RIGHT TO SEED on me. The really frustrating part is we only had one really hot week this summer. Had a planted them a tiny bit earlier or a tiny bit later, they would have been fine :p

Latest posts