cucumber help please????

criddle

Sprout
Reaction score
I have 4 cucumber plants that have gone wild.. which is fine theres tons of cucumbers coming on the problem is this the plants have over taken my garden so I tried to tie them up i put tee pees over each plant and pushed them into the ground for support wrapped the tee pee in twine and tried to help the plants up the tee peees 2 days later they all look like there turning brown and dying.. did i kill them?? :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plants age.

I have wondered if I contribute to the cucumbers downhill glide by "pawing thru them" looking for cucumbers. Hey, it is a little difficult seeing those dark green cucumbers in the shade of the leaves. . . I do better with the lemon cucumbers.

During the final weeks of their production, the vines produce smaller cucumbers. I am trying to deal with that in 2012 by having some plants that are a month or more younger than the others. By the way, the lemon cucumbers are later than the other varieties I have grown. Of course, they spend those extra days growing longer vines.

I have literally built walls against cucumber growth. It is one thing to have a difficult time walking down the paths near the vines but when they have tried to take over the main access path in the garden - something had to be done.

One of the most effective trellises that I have seen for cukes was when my old neighbor set a piece of cattle panel out over their bed. He had bent it at a 90 angle - length-wise. It sat like a roof over the vines and they promptly climbed right over it. He was willing to harvest them on his knees, since he had to reach in under the wire. I think I would have needed a flashlight.

Welcome to The Easy Garden, Criddle :)!

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
they are kind of sensitve plants, their stalks have so much moisture and "veins" you probably snapped some of the veins without you knowing it, Hopefully next time you will plant them in a better spot so you will have more room to grow!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had success growing mine on a teallis, but not for the last 2 years. Duh, it takes me 2 failures to learn :he Oh well, next year they can just sprawl out everywhere. I killed mine. Don't want to sound discouraging, but maybe we need to listen to the cucumber garden sprite that says cukes want to run wild and play in the garden. :lol:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33993

Welcome to TEG and hope you hang out with us and post some pics of your garden!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would assume you snapped and/or bruised the stems while moving them. I did that last year and now I either let them go wild or a train them up from the start.