Garlic bulbs in stem

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are garlic scapes, the seed pod of the garlic. Most people will pinch them off when you first notice them. You can eat the scapes, they're like a strong onion/garlic green, so you could saute them, put them in salad, whatever.

justpete

Leafing Out
Reaction score
These are right in the main stalk about 2" from the ground. I thought the scapes came out of the top of the plant.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh. Guess i shouldnt have just assumed where these bulbs are :) scapes are at the top, almost very end, so not that...i dunno!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you take a pic? I have had a scape start at the bottom like you are describing. Is it just on one or two plants, or all?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are bulbils, I am guessing that they are soft neck garlic. Soft neck garlic do not produce bulbils unless they are under stress. This year weather is very stressful because of the heat and dry weather. I have a couple of mine that did that as well. You can use them like garlic... eat them or plant them. If you plant them they will be a single bulb next year called a round, then you can plant it again and it will become a full size head of garlic. at way. A lot of people prefer to grow their garlic that way because by not being in the dirt they are disease free.

If you google them you will find out lots about how to use them.

justpete

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They do look just like the bulbils that form on the scapes

I'll try to get a picture posted up.

They are on about 10% of the plants.

Thanks for the help.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
justpete said:
They do look just like the bulbils that form on the scapes

I'll try to get a picture posted up.

They are on about 10% of the plants.

Thanks for the help.
I have some too. Soft neck garlic typically do not form them unless they are under stress (like this year) and then they form in the stem because they don't flower on the tops.

Latest posts