Ground squirrels are digging around all my fav trees and shrubs and the foundation of the house.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Any one have experience with eliminating ground squirrels in the PNW region.
I found a unique live trap that catches several squirrels in one trap in a few days time on YouTube available on Amazon. For $60. Then what do ya do with the squirrels in the trap? Like put them in your car and let them go to irritate someone else. I have dogs and cats and horses so poisons are out.

I just sprayed my trees and shrubs and areas around tunnels and holes with a squirrel liquid product with mint oil and caster oil a mix of other oils that are supposed to deter them. It’s not working but many area of my garden is basically torn up and plants lost. I have sprayed trees that the squirrels use to get up on the roof.

I have been thinking about hiring a professional company if any one has a reference for one plz let me know.

Any other suggestions I would be happy to hear what has worked for you.
Thank you in advance for any advice to have these squirrels removed.

Cathy

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not in the PNW and can't recommend anyone, sorry...

what has worked here are two different methods, both are fatal, relocating is often illegal (you'd have to look that up in your area).

rat traps baited with a bit of peanut butter (under the trip pan) and a raisin attached to the trip pan. or the bucket method (a four gallon bucket, filled partially with water (so they can't jump back out and will drown so it has to be deep enough that they can't touch bottom), you can float sunflower seeds on top of the water and bait a ramp so that the chipmunks will go up the ramp looking for sunflower seeds and they will see those seeds in there and jump right in.

the bucket method is less dangerous to fingers as the rat traps can be tricky to set, yes, i've gotten whacked a few times from them...

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug I’ve seen that bucket system for rats on you tube. Will have to give it a try. I’ve never thought about using it on squirrels . But why not…good suggestion. I’m goona set that up tomorrow.
Thank you very much. 👍😀

@baymule yes I have seen that trap used on you tube. It’s 60 bucks on Amazon. I would gladly get one … But what do ya do with all the live squirrels. They carry diseases . i may have to check with the wildlife extension service. I would be scared to put them in any vehicle … a feral cats urine experience in my car was horrid. Took weeks for the enzymes to finally work. But tomato juice worked better.
In some county’s here it’s illegal to relocate them once they’re trapped.

I’ve used live traps before for raccoons that picked on my cats, and feral cats. I had to take them to the animal shelter & the cats were euthanized. I felt so gility (silly I know) … so I ended up giving donations every time I took a feral cat in.
Thank you 😊.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nothing worked . The coffee grounds or the water in buckets. I gave up and put down commercial product layer of Plantskyyd.
I’ll still leave up the water buckets but the birds eat all the bait during the day. Last night resupplied the bait and nothing this morning. Just bluejays bullying all the small birds to access the bait. I read last night that ground squirrels spend 80% of their lives under ground.
Also interested in trying Gopher Goo a tunnel and hole filler agent all natural like jello. Kind of spendy stuff. 1 pound 60 bucks 5 pounds 80 bucks. I think they would just dig around it. Then another system I read about sucks the air out and gasses them. It’s in the works. But it’s a pain to do especially in an area that is infested with them in a large area.
So plantskyyd is a good product and I put down two containers of the pellets. Not any tunnel or holes this morning.
A first in awhile. Lost 5 trees so far due to the ground squirrels. 😟
By the way I collect small rare and flowering understory trees . 🌲🌳

This bucket is next to a huge rock to hop up on the bucket.
IMG_3564.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Peanut butter is up the ramps on the rock lift and even spread peanut butter inside the sides of the bucket above the water line, hard to see in pics. Didn’t have any sunflower seeds just used unsalted hazelnuts and walnuts . The birds ate them all. Had to reset all the bait at the traps at dusk last night and the traps did not work yet. Haven’t given up yet will try again. Get some sunflower seeds .
Thanks.

Last edited:

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think the squirrellinator is your best bet. We have a chipmunkinator, and it really works. My husband puts peanuts inside it. Then you need a container of water deep enough to submerge the whole (occupied) trap in, as @baymule said.

Not a time to be squeamish.

We also discovered that a flat patio paver on top of it will help keep raccoons or other large animals from dragging it around trying to reach the bait inside.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Since it's time to prep areas for 2025, I would suggest that get a tarp and your wheelbarrow, dig out ALL of the soil and store temporarily on the tarp and wheelbarrow, then put down chicken wire OR hardware cloth on the bottom, then replace the soil.
They are burrowing UP and won't be able to chew threw the wire.
Hope this helps!