Has anyone done container carrots?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I've been studying up on container gardening bc I save my flower and vegetable pots. I was given many geraniums in the past and the pots are pretty big, plus my 5 gallon farm/painter buckets lose their plastic on the handles but don't yet leak. My one source suggested a 7 gallon bucket produces 10-15 carrots. That seems kind of a lot of effort for very little gain. Anybody experienced with container grown carrots?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have not tried carrots in containers. I have done other things like tomatoes, hot peppers, basil in containers though. You would definitely need drain holes in your containers...lots. I guess i'm curious why you would say its a lot of work...would you have to hand water? I set up my containers as part of an automatic drip system, so once things are planted and the danger of frost is over, it's not too much work for me. Watering everyday by hand could be a hassle though.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose the amount of carrots per container would depend on the type of carrot variety as well as the size and depth of the container. Ball type carrots versus big fat juicers versus long skinny ones etc.

I have grown carrots in half barrels, they did well, but I don't know how they stacked up production wise compared to the same amount in the same space in the ground. I have the barrels on my patio, so it was more of a novelty/ decorative planting. There's nothing to be lost by an experimental planting, to see how it works for you.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do my carrots in containers it saves them from the moles! plant them exactly like you would if they were in the ground, mulch and make sure that you know how long they will get and make the depth of the container appropriate.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen pics online of it done... I am going to plant mine in containers this year since I got two kinds from Baker Creek and I need to be able to isolate them well to save seed off of them. I am usually limited to the shorter varieties with our hard-pan red clay here, so I am hoping to get some long, pretty carrots by container planting. Certainly worth a try!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You will and they taste so good. I planted some in a glass container for my daughter to grow in her elementary class they can watch the ones on the side get bigger!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I grow carrots along with my flowers in my container, when winter comes my flowers dies and my carrot leaves stayed pretty !:D

Latest posts