Here is my

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cold frame a friend and I built last weekend. The windows are not yet attached - I'd really like to scrape the old paint off and put a new coat. I also want to paint the entire thing white for maxium light. The windows do slope down, but you really can't tell from the picture. It took us just about all day to build, but we are pretty darn proud! :lol:

4898_hpim2095.jpg

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Thistle. I mainly wanted it to start my seeds in the spring, but I guess I could use it for a winter crop, although it's supposed to be 86 degrees here tomorrow! :/

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You should be proud, it looks fabulous!

Aren't old windows just the best! To think people just throw them away.

I saw that you should put some black paint, or something black, on the west interior side of the box. It will absorb light and increase the heat retention a bit for ya.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another fabulous project! You are really on a roll! You will love, love, love having a cold frame. It gets rid of the entire "hardening off" process, which is where so many of us lose our seedlings. I would definitely plant some lettuce or spinach in there- give it a test run, before spring! Looks absolutely wonderful! Enjoy!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks beautiful! I am amazed at what everyone else can do. Why can't I do something like that? :/ My skills are elsewhere. Where I don't know! :lol:

Mary