Hybrid greenhouse tomatoes

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year I searched the web looking for the best tomato variety to grow in the greenhouse. I decided on Trust, a hybrid developed in Europe. I thought the seeds were rather expensive at about $1.50 per seed, now, however, I am thinking that they were worth every penny. It is just the beginning of summer and the plant in the photo has 21 tomatoes on it, and each one is perfectly formed. As it has reached the peak of my greenhouse I have removed and cloned the top to be planted in a different location. From what I read online it is supposed to taste great, however, I will have to wait awhile until I can confirm that statement..

trust21.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
they look lovely :)
Thanks Pam. I was served a supermarket tomato in a restaurant last evening and it was dry with absolutely no taste whatever. This evening we had a Super Beefsteak from the greenhouse and it was fantastic. Nothing tastes like your first garden tomato in the summer. They make gardening worthwhile. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are going to be needing an upstairs addition if your plants get any taller, Jack! Looking wonderful, as usual!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
You are going to be needing an upstairs addition if your plants get any taller, Jack! Looking wonderful, as usual!
Lesa,

I love this quote from Andy Rooney regarding the supermarket tomato. It is so true!

The federal government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it. We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as 'progress', doesn't spread.

Andy Rooney quotes (American Journalist, Correspondent, Writer and Producer, b.1919)