Korean purple sweet potato slips? ORDER IS IN!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware that Sandhill Preservation has them, but you can only buy their mixes. You do not get to pick the individual varieties.

I want Korean Purple sweet potatoes. That's it. There are a few back up varieties I would settle for, but not being able to choose is annoying. I have very limited space so have to plan carefully.

Anyone have a good source for korean purple or other early variety (like 8633, Betty's, Envy, etc...) sweet potatoes? Anyone want to sell me an early variety potato so I can make my own slips???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
wife, I just got my catalog from "The Maine Potato Lady". I never thought I had a long enough growing season for sweet potatoes, but she has two that look they might work for either of us.

Beauregard- 95 days: A great choice for northern growers with short growing seasons. Rose skin and moist orange flesh. Fat and heavy, good for storage, etc. 12 slips for 12.95.

Japanese Red-105 days: Rich red skin and light cream-colored flesh. Sweet and dry taste. 12 slips 12.95

I think I am going to order the Beauregard. Now I just have to find a spot in the garden!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow mine in containers along the driveway. One of my containers is a little tykes toy box painted black and filled with dirt. I have also used old feed bags :D

Those two varieties you listed would make ok backups. I really have my heart set on the purples. I am going to hit one of the oriental food stores and see what they have.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Japanese is one of the slower developers. With your growing season I think you would be better off with the Beauregard, O'Henry or Georgia Jet, 90 to 95 day versus a 110 day. I'm sure you know that the number of days does not mean a lot other than a way to compare which matures first. At your altitude, two weeks could make a big difference. Frost is big trouble with sweet potatoes.

I have no idea where to get Korean Purple sweet potatoes, nor how long they take compared to others. Hopefully you can find one in an oriental market.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Found another variety that sounds interesting...

The Frazier White sweet potato.

And burpee has a few varieties.

But I want Korean Purple!!!!!

** throws tantrum ***
:p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried Beauregards, but they didn't develop anything more than skinny roots. Not their fault, I think one of my mistakes was mulching with straw which probably kept the soil too cool. This year I'm going to tinker with warming up the soil early and then a hoop tunnel to retain heat. I also like the container idea to warm the soil.Of course it would help if spring doesn't last into July and the nights stay above the 40s....

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL

I know what you mean. My biggest garnets last year were about the size of a computer mouse.

It was a good experiment though. And yes, I had a stick hoop frame over thetop of my black painted toy box and clear plastic over that. Plus I surrounded each plant with some 1 liter bottles filled with water. Without that I don't think I would have gotten anything.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did end up placing an order at Abundant Acres. Unfortunately the Korean Purple sweet potatoes were already sold out!!!

I ended up ordering 2 other early season varieties. Carogold Early and Violetta. Carogold are supposed to have "rampant vines". Since the leaves are edible, I have no problem with this at all. If I don't eat those leaves, I know the ducks will :D

The violetta have purple/redish skin and white flesh. The Carogold have purple skin and orange flesh.

I am anxious to see how these varieties do compared to the garnets I grew last year. Since my growing season is so short, I was surprised I got as many usable potatoes as I did. Having potatoes actually designed to grow in my climate will be awesome :D

A few other varieties are also sold out, so you might want to get your order in NOW!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year was the first time I put in sweet potatoes got beaurguard from Johnnyseed I raised the bed some and covered it with black mulch and then used a hoop house after planting...I got a great harvest...I was very pleased with the results and have just ordered some for this year...