Luck with Linaria

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had any luck growing Linaria?

Around here, the weedy yellow toadflax (a.k.a. Butter and Eggs) grows like, well, a weed.

But every time I try to sow the domestic one to get a bit more color diversity, I don't get sprout one.

In fact, in my whole life, I think I've only seem live Linaria plants ONCE (in a depression in the ground along the patch of the stable where my Aunt used to keep one of her horses.) Made my little eyes pop out (Butter and Eggs, but in rainbow colors!).

I tried some Moroccan Toadflax this year, but not a sign of growth (and I think there were four or five packets sown).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Around here, the weedy yellow toadflax (a.k.a. Butter and Eggs) grows like, well, a weed.

But every time I try to sow the domestic one to get a bit more color diversity, I don't get sprout one.

In fact, in my whole life, I think I've only seem live Linaria plants ONCE (in a depression in the ground along the patch of the stable where my Aunt used to keep one of her horses.) Made my little eyes pop out (Butter and Eggs, but in rainbow colors!).

I tried some Moroccan Toadflax this year, but not a sign of growth (and I think there were four or five packets sown).
I grew some in 2022. The germ rates were very good as the photo shows, but the time before I tried to germinate these - nada. It may be a species whose seeds perish quickly in storage? Or it may need more of a perennial seed treatment with cold stratification as it gets older. It seemed very wild flower-ish to me, not nearly as domesticated as some other types of flowers. And you know what wildness does to some genes, makes the seeds stubborn!

1719021461240.png

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

I tried Linaria last year, but it was a hot summer and the seedlings kind of burned out. The plants were much smaller than what I was expecting though. Only about 8" tall with tiny blossoms. I was thinking that I must have sowed them at the wrong time, and in a less than hospitable spot than they required. Maybe I should try again next year, as a mass planting. 🤔

Latest posts