Meat Farms and Animal Rescue

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Since covid everything has further deteriorated I say further because for decades I have witnessed the dramatic decline in every single service. From shops ( which was my line of work) councils, public transport, health and water. .
It's a complete mess to what our lives once was.

Our official or main animals welfare and rescue was never really fantastic, that's Purley from what I witnessed in the area's i have lived but today apparently it's become far worse and it's heartbreaking to see.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bumbing up for anyone who is interested in animals welfare

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting view of farming. Pro-cruelty of animals? Haven’t ever seen one of those after 50+ years in AG. Have witnessed cruelty to pets from “decent” people.

94% choose to eat meat? Tells me their belief. I’m ok with that. Just don’t try to make me live by their standards.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting view of farming. Pro-cruelty of animals? Haven’t ever seen one of those after 50+ years in AG. Have witnessed cruelty to pets from “decent” people.
Thank you for your reply. This is a subject that's bothered me

Would that be people that are unaware of being cruel? If not I wouldn't call them decent
94% choose to eat meat? Tells me their belief. I’m ok with that. Just don’t try to make me live by their standards.
Sadly it's what a lot of people have learned to add to their diets. But surely all animals need monitoring, to make sure they are living a reasonable cruelty free life while they are living.

A farmer's family that i know really takes care of their animals. Right up until the time of slaughtering.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Animals being treated with cruelty will not flourish. Farm goes broke.

I won’t lecture why AG has went the route it has or what is wrong with “alternative “ ways to raise livestock. Or debate meat vs no meat. (Trust that I’d love to but nobody would change their opinion & usually insults are brought into the discussion.)

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry I won't visit the link. Can you please summarize?

Screenshot_20240930_234827_Gallery.jpg

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Really the abuse isn't reported. I cringe when I see pigs stuck in small cages with cement floors.
I can accept dry lots where they can stretch their legs, very much like @baymule used to have.
A small livestock breeder that I know keeps heritage pigs in about six thirty foot runs with a shelter and wallows, keeps them well enough. It is pricy to dedicate grassland for pigs, but I understand that pigs really flourish when they can graze. She sells them to anybody, but mostly other breeders wanting to keep the breed going.
We certainly consume a Lot of pork bc it's cheaper now than beef.
Chickens, too, get abused stuck in small cages their whole life. I have 2 such cages and I have used them to move chickens when I have purchased adult birds. They are called "rabbit cages", but I have not ever kept rabbits in small confinement like that.
Certainly, down to 2 horses, who have 4 acres to roam, late April-November, then about one acre November to April and hay, mine lead a cushy life. I have witnessed horses stuck in 10 x 10 stalls all day every day.
"Tolerate" is a kind word for horses, fed and watered--also applicable to bare minimum care for plants--not a kindness to social creatures.
Not many people know that mares are constantly bred to produce birth control progesterone and then, unwanted foals. The breeding is not monitored so we don't know the athleticism or any future. for the foals
Any horse owner worth their salt has studied conformation and how it affects the ability for your horse's natural aptitude to perform certain sports.
For instance, ALL full sized adult sound horses can jump a 3 ft obstacle. Only horses with "scope" can clear that and taller and higher and "take the rider with them".
This is an aside, but in a poor economy buyers are picky.
My POINT? Most of these foals go for meat in other countries.
I am appalled :eek: that there are new health products that contain colostrum. This is only produced by lactating mammals the first 24 hours after giving birth. When Veterinarians harvest colostrum they freeze it to get to clients with orphan foals, orphan calves, orphan lambs, etc. and this has been life saving bc it contains antibodies for immunity, else the baby animals can get ill and die young.
WHICH mammals are being harvested to produce this en masse for human consumption?!?!?
I cannot believe that dairy cattle used to produce this are NOT being abused and tossed aside.
Human consumption is SO MUCH HIGHER than that of orphaned mammals.
It is similar to progesterone harvesting.
I have NO PROBLEM with raising livestock to butcher for meat and organs. My beef lady raised Blank Angus steers on grass, and fattens on corn for the last 2 weeks before going to the locker, "Freezer Camp."
I hate waste when it isn't necessary.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a huge disconnect about what people think they know about the food chain and what is real. I blame that on AG failing to educate and educators to teach it.

Let me address just one misunderstanding. Hogs on pasture are better off. Late spring, early summer, late summer through fall, they look contented. Summer, they scald. Winter they freeze. Hog huts for protection? Step inside, loaded with manure & insects-flies being thick. 12 months out of the year, they fight internal parasites (worms, etc) and external parasites (fleas, ticks, lice-hog lice are the size of a man’s thumbnail-flies, etc). Not to talk about diseases brought in by birds, coons, etc. so they turn to drugs to fight these problems. This is about farrow to finish producers. Pretty picture? Won’t even get into the economics. People ripping off 4H kids can sell a $50 piglet for $500-that cash flows.

Now you have an acre with a good hog fence and a large shade tree, finish a few hogs off-they will have a good 3 months of life to grow them from 50-60# to 220#. Question, how would you be able to feed America that way? Film chasing hogs as they destroy your hog fence to see what is on the other side. To those of us not involved, it will be hilarious. Been there, done that. Chasing hogs is NOT fun!

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was under the impression that PMU farms used to exist all across the US and were also in Canada. Conditions at PMU farms vary, and some farms work diligently to place their unwanted foals. Many others are not as responsible. Due to increasing pressure of animal welfare regulation, and public outcry over the horrible fates often suffered by the foals, current PMU production has moved overseas.

Many PMU mares who spent most of their lives impregnated so that their urine could be collected to make the drug Premarin. After years of service some were sent to auction where at risk of being shipped to slaughter. Many horses and PMU foals were saved from this fate due to improved animal regulations .

Latest posts