Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a container pond to grow water lilies…and this year I finally did it! This is my first experience with water gardening.

I bought this container from Tractor Supply and filled it with this aquatic soil from Home Depot. Someone kindly gave me two water lily dividings for free; a white and a reddish pink. I planted those in the soil and filled the planter with well water.

I sprouted three lotus seeds from Etsy and added the tiny plants in about a week later.

I bought four water hyacinths from someone on Facebook Marketplace (for $6!) last week.

Hopefully I can add some more plants sometime soon. It’s a bit hard to source aquatic plants here in Rhode Island, however. With our cold weather, I’ll have to overwinter the plants in my house.

The whole project costed about $50.

Here are some photos I took this week. I’ve had three water lily flowers so far.
IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_7789.jpeg

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a container pond to grow water lilies…and this year I finally did it! This is my first experience with water gardening.

I bought this container from Tractor Supply and filled it with this aquatic soil from Home Depot. Someone kindly gave me two water lily dividings for free; a white and a reddish pink. I planted those in the soil and filled the planter with well water.

I sprouted three lotus seeds from Etsy and added the tiny plants in about a week later.

I bought four water hyacinths from someone on Facebook Marketplace (for $6!) last week.

Hopefully I can add some more plants sometime soon. It’s a bit hard to source aquatic plants here in Rhode Island, however. With our cold weather, I’ll have to overwinter the plants in my house.

The whole project costed about $50.

Here are some photos I took this week. I’ve had three water lily flowers so far.
View attachment 67157
View attachment 67158
View attachment 67159
View attachment 67160
View attachment 67161
Your water garden is beautiful! An aquatic paradise in a (relatively) small container.

Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just did some clean-up. There were a bunch of dead and rotting leaves and flowers that I cut off. There’s lots more room for the baby leaves to get much-needed sunlight now. I skimmed the water and filled it to make up for the evaporation.

I tied the water hyacinths together by a string around the roots. They need to be close together in order to bloom, and I didn’t want them floating around getting in the way of the lilies and lotus.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Blueberry Acres Water plants are also interesting to watch grow . How big is yourt he container? You Sure has a beautiful collection of water lilies, water hyacinths also have colorful flowers.

I like water plants, my fav are the hardy water lilies. I have had them for years in the same container about 25 gallons plastic in ground pond .

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both the water features are small and easily managed. One pond with fish and water plants.1000 gallons in ground with small waterfall.
The other is small 25 gallons just for water lilies they don’t like water movement.
Time to rearrange water plants in the pond and clean the debris from the lily pond. It’s been windy and leaves and pollen are flying everywhere.

IMG_1594.jpegIMG_1249.pngIMG_1003.jpegIMG_2041.jpeg

Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both the water features are small and easily managed. One pond with fish and water plants.1000 gallons in ground with small waterfall.
The other is small 25 gallons just for water lilies they don’t like water movement.
Time to rearrange water plants in the pond and clean the debris from the lily pond. It’s been windy and leaves and pollen are flying everywhere.

View attachment 67232View attachment 67233View attachment 67235View attachment 67236
Beautiful!

Latest posts