Our first 'tilling'!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We've been shoveling our clay for 3 years now, turning it over, breaking it up by hand, and TODAY, RIGHT NOW DH is on his way to the hardware store to rent a tiller for the day!!! :ya

This is SO exciting :weee

For a year now, we've been piling up the leaves, the chicken poop, the sand & kitchen scraps in the compost & turning it, and for the last few weeks we've been piling on leaves, wood chips, straw, etc right on top of the "corn field" and yesterday DD moved the first compost pile & spread it on the field too. Soon, it will get it's first REAL tilling!!!

I can't believe that when you move to the country, not only do you get to make all your own food, but you also get to make your own DIRT too!

Once we're done, next weekend we'll be creating 3 or 4 winter coops for our solo roosters right on top of the field (field is a stretch, it's really only like 20' X 10' or so) so that they may 'work it over' all winter long, and we'll just keep piling in leaves & chips & sand for them. Then spring, move them, till again and before I know it I'll be :watering

Hooray! :rose

:tools

these smilies are too much fun!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good for you! :thumbsup Its a great feeling to make the soil better - to feel this difference when you pick up a handful and you know you had a part in making it better. What a feeling you'll have watching your plants do better and better as you improve the soil. Great job. :rainbow-sun :happy_flower :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh hooray hooray!!! We're been the same way... doing it all with rakes, hoes and shovels! We borrowed a neighbor's tiller and everything went over to well, so fast! We were thrilled....

ENJOY! It sounds like a well deserved break one should be able to enjoy now and then, especially after putting so much love into your land! :D

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH just came home... withOUT the tiller. :hit
they listed but don't actually have the one he wanted. he says there is another place to try... I bet it'll never happen now.

:rolleyes:
I jinxed it

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, you're in zone 6, plenty of time for tilling. It will all work out!!! I see beautiful gardens in your future!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
bodyflight, Maybe's it's a good thing that you didn't get that tiller. I am on tiller #2. The first tiller was an off brand, sold for about $350.00--kinda like "Yard Machine" brand. The tines worked well, but, under moderate use on black dirt, I burned out the gear box. Gave it away for parts to the local machine distributor for parts after nine years of 2x/year use. YOU have heavy, rock hard when it's dry, clay. If you buy and/or use a cheaper one you'll destroy it. I now own and use a Troy-built, not top-of-the-line one like the one in the middle picture:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_1...Broad&site=&creative=3513910045&OVKEY=tillers
Works great, but, the local store warned me NOT to break up sod with it even on MY property. They suggested top of the line, about $1K model that would do everything. Otherwise they told me to break up the soil, then use the tiller.
I APPLAUD your soil building!!! :hugs :bun
I hope I'm not repeating myself, BUT, my grandfather did this exact thing on his 1/4 acre property in Cleveland, OH, during the Depression, when he was forced to grow food. The clay in their soil can literally make pots, and he used layers of manure to create an awesome soil base. Isn't it fun working on your "estate!!!"

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess there is still plenty of time, I just wanna get those chicken coops moved :D

We aren't BUYING a tiller.. sorry if I mislead you. We're renting one.. that's why he wants the heavy duty one.. after we rent a heavy duty one this fall and again in spring, THEN we'll probably buy one of the middle models.. after the real hard work is done.

Maybe I should just let the chickens have at it, and wait till spring... ho hum... it WAS a good idea :rolleyes:

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love that you said you get to make your own dirt. I was thinking that the other day. It's so awesome to have a hand in the ecosystem and watch its progress.

Don't give up yet! You have a little time to get that tiller.
:hugs

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks punkinpeep... after we get it all tilled in, whever that does happen, THEN I'm going to send off for a soil test. I didn't figure it was worth it before.. sending in a small chunk of clay is hardly worth a "soil" test. I was hoping it would at least resemble soil or dirt before I asked someone to bother with the test.

:)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking about the cost of renting when owning one would be not to much more, plus it would be there when you want it!

Here is some listings from Craigslist. Not sure where you are at but these look like some good deals. Rent is like $40.00 a day.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/search/grd?query=tiller&catAbbreviation=grd&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

I got a cement mixer off the list one day, it was like new, and cheap to!

I love making soil! I love playing in it to! Some people call it gardening! That sounds to much like work!

May your soil be fertile and loamy. :tools

Joe

Just looked at that page again, not to great but I would keep my eye out!

Latest posts