Pests on my husband's habaneros

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband would like to know what these are and how to get rid of them.They are tiny specs, this is greatly blown up.
20240822_114607.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bugs look of a tender age so something like neem oil may dispatch them. And, that is also what the University of California folks suggest.

Peppers are a favorite for many bugs. One might think that all the heat the plants can put in their fruit would protect them 100% but it doesn't. I was not very successfully at knocking down all the aphids on the greenhouse peppers and will have to hit them again with either the insecticidal soap or the neem. Remember, especially with the neem oil, don't spray during sunny times and rinse the plants off after several hours before they are much sunshine.

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What worked for me in my greenhouse to despatch bugs was hanging yellow strips of paper covered in vasoline. Worked like a charm.
Or you could try to wash them off , then get a sheer fabric curtain at 2nd hand store , cut to size cover the plants. Once removal has been successful. To be on the safe side due to egg contamination also hang Vaseline strips inside the netted off area.
It’s frustrating. . Like a dog chasing its tail. Never quite get it. But it works.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bugs look of a tender age so something like neem oil may dispatch them. And, that is also what the University of California folks suggest.

Peppers are a favorite for many bugs. One might think that all the heat the plants can put in their fruit would protect them 100% but it doesn't. I was not very successfully at knocking down all the aphids on the greenhouse peppers and will have to hit them again with either the insecticidal soap or the neem. Remember, especially with the neem oil, don't spray during sunny times and rinse the plants off after several hours before they are much sunshine.

Steve

Yes, neem oil is great for pepper pests! It's my #1 go to, and the past 2 - 3 years I have had a dilly of a time with both aphids and spider mites in the greenhouse. Breaking the full life cycle can take some time though I've found. Interestingly, this year, after coming to the conclusion that now I've cut down the tree next to the greenhouse and it doesn't get a bit of shade as it used to - I'll have these pests forevermore. The relentless sun on the greenhouse seemed to trigger some kind of plant stress that invited pests, & greenhouses tend to be very hospitable to pests anyway.

However, I wanted to try one last method this year before accepting total defeat, bamboo skewers wrapped in copper in every single pot. To my utter astonishment I haven't had a single pest in that greenhouse from day one this season. This is a miracle given the problems I've had. AND the pots are all 'too small' by conventional standards, the soil is not potting mix either, I just scooped it out of the garden. Not sure if it was the skewers, but it seems possible. Wanted to mention this to you @Alasgun since I'm not sure if you've tried it in your greenhouse. Keep in mind, I e-cultured everything to the extreme. :)

Now if only it'd work on cabbages.

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal Great advice copper repels slugs and snails. Garden stores have copper tape that is used around the greenhouse plants to form a barrier around plants or any other areas around plants. Slugs and snails will not cross it. It is odd but it really helps to use it a lot around the new seedlings in the greenhouse.

Also copper tape has another use called electroculture. Yeap this is a real cultivation technique lots of info on line.

Last edited:

Latest posts