Site won’t let me post photos

Blueberry Acres

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whenever I try to post a photo, I get a pop-up saying “Oops! We ran into a problem”. It will, however, let me post screenshots of the same photo. It’s been happening for a while now, at least one week :hu

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just posted this on another thread. Go to the r h corner of your phone screen, menu has 3 dashes, choose "Save to VZ Media."
Then, you can either email it to yourself OR copy/paste it to IrfanView, link below:
This is a free program that allows your to manipulate your photos, save and upload them here. 😍

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
By the way, I’ve tested posting photos on BackYard Chickens with no problem.
They are not using the same algorithms for resizing photos on the sister sites as they are on BYC.

Any photos that you upload to BYC or the sister sites are resized so that the longest side is no more than 2,000 pixels.

The algorithms they are using on BYC will handle the bigger sizes from the new phone cameras. Here and on the other sister sites they will not handle these bigger sizes. The same jpgs that I upload on BYC with no problem have to be resized by me before this site or Sufficient Self or BYH will accept them.

@Nifty

Last edited:

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sometimes I need to change the page then go back and start the post over and start the pic attachment over .

Sometimes the settings on your pic app or photo program is not set to fit the allowed number of pixels.
Just reset by clicking on your program selections.

I forgot one othe thing. Refresh your page . I shut down my iPad and reenter the forum.

Last edited:

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What size / format is the file?

For example "10mb JPG"

... and if the error message is different from “Oops! We ran into a problem”
One that I tried to post this afternoon on SS was 6.94 MB - 7188x9968 - 72MP - jpg. Tried it here and got no message but it never loaded.

Resized it to 1.65 MB - 2874x3986 - 11 MP - jpg and it worked fine.
20240811_155016.jpg

The original larger file loaded fine on BYC.

The error I had been getting on the sister sites was File too large.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One that I tried to post this afternoon on SS was 6.94 MB - 7188x9968 - 72MP - jpg. Tried it here and got no message but it never loaded.

Resized it to 1.65 MB - 2874x3986 - 11 MP - jpg and it worked fine.
View attachment 67690
The original larger file loaded fine on BYC.

The error I had been getting on the sister sites was File too large.
Even 2874x3986 pixels is a huge file. For sharing on a forum, this is extreme overkill. Photos come off my camera as 2288x1712 jpgs, but I usually resize them to 1000x748 to post, and I never post png images.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even 2874x3986 pixels is a huge file. For sharing on a forum, this is extreme overkill. Photos come off my camera as 2288x1712 jpgs, but I usually resize them to 1000x748 to post, and I never post png images.
No9 matter how big the file uploaded is, if capable, the site down sizes it to a maximum of 2,000 pixels on the longest side.

This is about making it convenient for people who are using camera phones to upload there photos directly from their phones to the site. Many of these people may not know how to resize their photos. Yes it is easy to do.

Many are also members of BYC which allows even the 200 MP files from my phone camera to be uploaded without any issues.

When I am using my "real" cameras, I only shoot in RAW and resize the photos myself before uploading them.

In many of the photo contests on BYC they would find your 1,000x748 images too small for proper judging.

I do not use png at all but if you use just paste an image into a post, BYC and the sister sites will make it a png.

Latest posts