the one and only - Tiger Melon

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and I ordered a few novelties from Bakker's Creek. We tried Tiger Melon. We grew ONE! Here it is. :) Small enough to fit in DH's hand. When split open it has creamy flesh. Very firm & SMOOTH, not grainy at all and has a very MILD cantaloupe flavor.
8098_tiger_melon_1.jpg

8098_tiger_melon_2.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks real nice Carol! Using it in a salad?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not a melon fan. I do not usually eat watermelon or cantaloupe. DH said he would grow it again as he had never been able to grow cantaloupe of any kind before. I did like the smooth firm texture. Marshall. Yes, It would be a good addition in a fruit salad. Probably have people wondering what it was ! ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, how can you NOT be a melon fan? I just LOVE cantaloupes, watermelons, and strawberry papayas. Those are my favorite fruits! I'm willing to pay $2.99 for a papaya. :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I felt very challenged to grow a melon, Carol.

For years, it was Minnesota Midget or nothing . . . usually, it was nothing.

Then I came across this list: Earligold, Earliqueen, Goddess, Strike, Halona and Passport. Okay, I came across the list after I tried one of these, the Passport melon. It isn't a cantaloupe, it's a "Galia" melon and, I believe, a cross between a honeydew & a muskmelon. I think the others are cantaloupe and this is the 2nd year I've grown Goddess. I've had my first Goddess and 3 or 4 Passports. Today, I just brought 3 more ripe melons in from the garden!

These melons were all developed by Brent Loy at the University of New Hampshire. It isn't as tho' I grow a whole lot of these things. And, these particular varieties are not growing out there by leaps & bounds, either. There is one, 30' by 4' bed in the garden and the melon vines have shared that bed with a bunch of basil plants around the outside and, yesterday, I noticed that there's a cucumber plant in that bed! A melon plant must have died and been replaced a couple of months ago . . .

That used to be a real common problem - melon death :/. Spring has been so cool & miserable some years, that my melon plants just up & die! Passport tuffs it out! Year after year, I've got those melons :). Now, your early season may be entirely different but you and your DH are doing the right thing - trying different types. Keep trying!

Steve :cool:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a cute little melon Carol. I'm with you though, I'll pass. I don't even like watermelon :(

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Carol,

I don't care for cantaloupe either. but the wife loves them. I showed her yours and we'll likely be trying it next year in the garden.

Tony