Urban bee article

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's great. Many cities are lifting bans to allow urban beekeeping now that people are coming to understand how important the bees are. The bees seem to really be making a comeback in my area too. My bees are down at my MIL's for now, but I am still seeing TONS of them in the garden and on the white clover. Almost every step you take, you'd likely step on one! My dad found a feral hive in a walnut tree on his farm a couple weeks ago. I think I'm gonna go set up a swarm trap and see if I can catch some free bees.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You're a beek, J11? You'd fit in great with all my friends on Sufficient Self, TEGs sister site. I want to keep bees starting next spring, because there are zero honey bees around here. I've got carpenters and masons, but no honey bees. I have flies and wasps that are pollinating. I guess they are filling the void in the ecosystem. I definitely want a small hive.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've kept bees for 2 years now. If you don't mind an occasional sting, the can be very addictive. :D

I'm registered over on SS and BYC. I pop in every once in a while to ask questions, but spend most of my time over here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that... I have really enjoyed having bees. We added a second hive this year. I think it makes a tremendous difference in the garden. And, of course, the honey is out of this world! Journey, we have had bees for three years and have not been stung... We are still expecting it, but our bees seem to be super docile. Often we work them, with no smoke, or veil. Having bees has really made me look at my plants and flowers differently. They are just such fascinating creatures.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Often we work them, with no smoke, or veil.
Oh wow! I really don't trust myself not to fumble and drop a frame. ;) I consider mine girls pretty even tempered, but not so much as yours, Lesa. I know they can vary quite a bit, not only by breed, but even by strain. I'm also a little bit allergic to them. One sting doesn't cause me much trouble, but I don't want to take my chances. :p

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! Ya'll are really making want bees. I'm not allergic to anything, and don't consider a bee sting very painful, so are ya'll saying i won't need a bee suit or smoker?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last weekend I went with my hubby to a job estimate and the homeowner showed me his hives. We stood right next to them as he pulled out a frame. They were buzzing around but not aggressively at all. Maybe it helped that it was evening, but it was so amazing.
It was fun to talk bees with him and I was surprised at how much I remembered from my scattered readings through the years.
He told me he would help me get set up if I needed help. So nice! :bee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard stories of bees going up the beek's nose or in their ear (not aggressively, per se, just that they can be curious sometimes). So I'll at least always be wearing my veil! LOL The smoker tricks them into thinking their "tree" is on fire and they go into the honey combs and fill up in case they have to get out of dodge. It makes them very docile and passive most of the time. Most beeks will tell you your basic equipment is a hive tool, hat/veil and smoker (they also make liquid "smoke"). The full suit, or a jacket, gloves...all that can be optional, depending on the time of year and how confident you are with your bees. I would say Lesa's bees are probably more gentle than average.

When robbing their honey, they will tend to be more aggressive than at other times of the year because they put that honey up for their survival and they don't want to give it over so easily. I've had a single bee hunt me down some 30 minutes after taking off honey just because I still had my suit on and she recognized by smell that I was the big ol' bear who stole her honey.

Now otherwise I can go sit right next to my hive, a foot or two away, and watch their coming and going and they do not sting me or even notice me. It's just when you mess with them, they might take notice. But with experience and as you gain more finesse and don't bang around much or make any sudden moves, they may not notice you much then either. Most people think of bees as mean and aggressive, but they really have a "if you don't bother me, then I won't have to bother you" attitude. They really just want to go about their business.

Latest posts