What you can learn from Wikipedia

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Encyclopedias became very important to me in my mid-teens. There were "Books of Knowledge" that belonged to the owners who rented a house to us when I was a little kid. We left that house and those books but in my early teens, my parents bought a set of encyclopedias. They came at a good time in my life. I had reason to stay home quite a lot, we had just moved off the farm and soon moved to another city. Other than those books and in the earliest years of my life, I can only remember that we had a bible and a dictionary at home. Of course, I loved library visits and all but moved into the ones during college years.

The internet led me to Wikipedia within a few years. Yes, I have edited one or two things but that has only been on about a yearly cycle ;). Seldom do I feel the need to jump in and I'm usually reading about something that I don't know anything about. After all, isn't that what an encyclopedia is for?

Not knowing anything about Ithaca, the Greek island, is an example. Yes, I read Homer's account of Odysseus, his travels, and returning home to Ithaca. I have been to New York State but missed a trip to Cornell University and Ithaca NY. The Island the entire population could fit into Ithaca NY with room for almost 20 times more! The island's population is less than 3,000 people. I did a little Streetview travel using the Wikipedia coordinates for the largest town. It was a pleasant few minutes clicking the arrow to "go" along the very narrow streets and up into the country :).

Steve

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Street views on the internet is a fun way to see parts of the world . I especially like to do that over the holidays. So many cities and countries around the world have interesting traditions, food and amazing decor for the holidays.

Also a great way to see famous and glorious gardens all around the world.

Latest posts