Need help adding street appeal

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DH and I have worked really hard to make our yard look nice. When we bought it four years ago, you literally could not see the house because the yard was covered in overgrown, ugly trees and huge box hedges. Everything was enormous and overgrown... no flowers, no appeal at all.
The first thing we did when we moved in is tied trees to our Dodge Cummins and ripped them out (much to the neighborhood's dismay). :lol: Then we put 2000sq ft of Marathon sod in and four queen palms. We did not put the sod in with a garden in mind because gardening is still a new thing for me. I put a couple of things in but it wasn't until last year that I really decided I wanted a nice garden.
We are going to enter our house into the "Norco Beautification Contest", where you submit before and after pictures of your house. The winners get a nice sign to put in their front yard. A lot of our neighbors have won this prize and we'd like to win it, too! I think I need to add some more street appeal before I take my "after" picture.
Another problem I have is a white metal fence my next door neighbors installed. It was nice at first but our sprinklers hit it so it is rusting. DH is tired of removing rust and repainting and our lawn is so enormous that I think having something along that side would make it look nice.
n641795996_2411855_6889130.jpg

4628_95526655996_641795996_2411852_2376915_n.jpg

n641795996_2411853_1939399.jpg

n641795996_2411854_7044075.jpg

4628_95526700996_641795996_2411856_3318640_n.jpg

ETA.... The before pics

4628_95528865996_641795996_2411864_6296205_n.jpg

n641795996_2411865_5367431.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very impressive before and after pics! You guys really did a great job! Love the garden in front of the porch. There must be some kind of vine you could plant along that fence... I am in zone 4, so my ideas aren't too useful. If the fence is very smooth, you might have to put up something as a trellis, so the vine can grip on. If you don't mind more garden to take care of, I think a small island garden mid- yard might be nice. I like grass, but I love gardens!! At any rate, you did a great job- you should be very proud! Enjoy and Good luck with the contest!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I love the idea of clematis! There are so many different varieties, you could really have a show! Even when they are not blooming, they are lush and green...

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just looked up clematis... GORGEOUS! :love I'll have to see if it will grow in full sun in this area.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carri, you most likely will need to shade the roots. I did get your PM, but I have to say, you're off to a great start - and it would be best if people who lived in your area and climate gave you some suggestions, our growing climates are vastly different!

Now, if that fence were mine, I'd be growing some Blaze roses along it - but I don't know how well they'd do for you there.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm a little scared of roses because they have so many diseases, etc. I have noticed that the landscapers use some sort of thornless rose, and they come in several colors, but they don't seem to grow too large. I'm looking more for "up" and not "out".
As far as curb appeal, can you suggest some color or anyplace I can put some potted plants to make the house pop a bit? I was thinking some hanging annuals to get some quick color before I take a picture? Looking at the picture, the garden sort of blends in with the house. :( Up close it looks nice, but I want someone walking down the sidewalk (or in my neighborhood, horse path) to look and think, Wow! That house looks nice!

And what does "shade the roots" mean?
ashamed0005.gif

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can put a flagstone or some other kind of rock over the roots after you plant it (don't squish the roots, use a flat rock that will spread the weight out a bit).

There are so many wonderful hanging plants you could use, those supertunias are lovely. I like to make up my own baskets, here is a page with some neat suggestions. Is that something like what you're looking for?

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes! That looks so pretty. I saw something in Better Homes where they took two hanging baskets and made a flower ball. I'm not sure I'm talented enough for that :lol: but it was such a neat idea.
I would probably make my own, too. I've seen them at Home Depot and Lowes (seriously, the nurseries around here suck) but they are so expensive for what you get. The flowers usually look blah.
I just need something to pop the garden out from the house.

I was also thinking of hanging something like this between the two big windows to break up all of the white siding.
4455493.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have one of those copper stars hanging on my chicken coop! its a nice little pop for sure!!!!!

I think you have a great porch for some hanging baskets you can put something with super bright yellows, whites and pinks hanging over. Maybe 2 or 3.... maybe even add some to that white fence... some hanging baskets along that on top, with some climbing vines down below!

Go hit your local nursery and see whats available for your zone now. You can try annuals for now.... and then do some research for some perrenials to put in next year :)

We're in the same position.... still trying to clean up the old homeowners mess and give this house some curb appeal. :D

Latest posts