Phaedra's Adventure

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some critters stole my lettuces again from below, well, I have closed to 60 (or 70) lettuces, not big deal. However, I am not willing to share further. Yes, this raised bed belongs to the very early ones and had no hardware clothes yet. The landscape fabric underneath might be damaged anyway.
21062.jpg

We will have some very warm days soon, so it's not bad to transplant them again to a shadier place. Harvest first, and then transplant them one last time.
21060.jpg

Many many lettuce leaves, so why don't we add plenty into the homemade hamburgers?
21063.jpg

24 lettuces were now under trees, where stays in the shade most of the time besides 3-4pm.
21061.jpg

I also did a lot of weeding today, and the lesson is, well, I'd better produce much more compost this year for the next growing season and forget about directly using grass clippings. :lol:

Asparagus are coming out, and I will pick some purple asparagus tomorrow.

Cakes rolls - Vanilla Strawberry & Matcha Adzuki Beans

20922.jpg

They look even more attractive under the blue sky.
21064.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Compared with what this small piece of land looked like in early 2023, it's an absolutely correct decision to re-build smaller chicken runs but with roofs. It will remain a terribly bare and muddy land if we didn't make the decision to redo the runs.

Also I well accepted the fact that I just can't free range our hens now, and there is nothing wrong about it. Different terms will always have different meanings and ways of adapt under different circumstances. After raising chickens for several years, smaller, safe and cozy residences are the best practices. We will arrange tunnels and mobile cages for them to enjoy 'mowing' soon.
21131.jpg

The small garden besides the grey house -- as the daylight becomes much longer now, the plants are thriving.
21195.jpg

21190.jpg

A salad green from Lidl (with roots) - I harvested the outer leaves and transplanted them here. Now, they are doubled size.
21192.jpg

I will remove all lettuces from this small garden soon, pot them on again, and re-station them under the trees like these I did yesterday. Then, I will transplant some summer crops and flowers there.
21179.jpg

Potted plants in the old sickbay - they are doing fine, too. This is the direct sunlight hours in the morning. In the late afternoon, there will again some good amount of light from the other side, too. However, I might bring the chili and peppers to the locations with even more sunlight, and keep here for crops that prefer shadier conditions.
21114.jpg

Another lesson that I learned in a hard way, but well, better than never.
21188.jpg

Today's harvest, can't wait for eating the purple asparagus.
21126.jpg

Hens enjoy the overwintered purple broccoli - I need the space for other crops.
21185.jpg

21184.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Something funny, I saw this kind of 'indoors' germination several times for tomatoes, but, it's my first time seeing this in a melon. The melon itself is fine, not overripe at all.
21156.jpg

The seeds just can't wait to grow!
21176.jpg

Well, you got what you want, and let's see where will this lead us to? :D
21177.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Harvest day - I'm very satisfied with the current level of self-sufficiency.
View attachment 65583
Tulip 'Peptalk' - my favorite!
View attachment 65584
I picked a lot of salad greens and transplanted scallions and leek. Salad leaves were rinsed and dried before storing into the fridge.
View attachment 65585
The seedlings are doing very well, and it seems the warm weather is arriving soon. All warmth-loving plants are showing a robust and healthy growth.
View attachment 65586

Dahlias from seeds - time to pinch their tips and encourage the side shoots
View attachment 65587
Lovely ones - they always make me smile.
View attachment 65588
The flower bed near the border is ready, and I added a temporary fence to stop our dogs to step inside, especially all transplanted ones are still fragile.
View attachment 65589
A nice photo for today, kind of express the life I like.
View attachment 65590
Those black scissors like just like the American Civil War Period, (1852-1865) scissors that the sutlers sold so you could use them in camp for hand sewing.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That quiet corner with the inviting bench ..

. deserves to be the picture on the ..

. forum's front page.​
It's great you like it, Steve. Let me share the night mode~

I hope, the emtire pond area will turn into a very lovely spot in another few weeks.
21352.jpg