10 small trees for smal garden

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Cultivars are the "new" thing for small yards. Tree growers find a dwarf specimen growing and they clone it, and it takes about a decade for them to grow a dwarf variety that will NOT grow to the 30, 40, 50 and 60ft version that we find growing in cities and small towns, the ones that fall over in a storm on your house.
This started with cutting off witches brooms
and growing and cultivating them to grow a super small dwarf pine tree, and has now grown to become an industry staple.
Because it takes a long time to make this happen, don't turn your nose up at the high price tags for them.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Absolutely trees with witches broom can be used to graft on stock roots for small sized trees. Most of my weeping dwarf cherry trees are grafted. Some can be pretty spendy.
Some small trees are created by using a scion from the desired plant cultivar , then it’s grafted onto a rootstock of another plant.
My neighbor does magical things with his fruit trees. Having smaller trees to pick fruit from is easier . He also uses a method called air rooting on tree branches from a desired cultivar to produce small trees for his use. He uses another method called multi grafting to grow different varieties of the same fruit on one the tree . It’s not just trees he grafts but also does this with roses and peony’s. He has been a close friend for years and has shared a lot of his garden skills . 👍

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dwarf Magnolias were first developed in MICHIGAN (where the native Magnolia would die in the winter,) in the 1950's. The original crosses were named with girl's names. I have a "Magnolia Jane". DD's have a "Magnolia Betty."
Despite their development as hardier than My climate needs, I planted my Magnolia due east and center of my house. I didn't want the baby tree to fail bc of harsh winter winds.
It has flourished and doesn't look like it will get any taller than the current 13 ft that it is now.
I encourage anyone wanting a tree to consider a dwarf variety. I watch my neighbors and their 40 ft giant old trees looking like one good storm will knock a limb or the whole tree into the roof. These dwarf varieties would only harm your home if a tornado rips them out of the ground and throws them at your house.
We have chopped down 5 trees, one a volunteer maple in the wrong place, and the others were too tall and dropping limbs. We are blessed bc no limbs have hit the house, but they have come close.
Our ancestors didn't really have a choice about kind and height, but I think that they would have chosen smaller.
Again, the cost from a nursery is significant, but it hasn't taken very long for my magnolia to grow from tiny to big and lovely.
I also bought 4 pieces of some very nice and heavy short garden edge fencing which I put around the original trunk to protect it from my mower. My tree hasn't outgrown it, yet. My tree has sporatic spot flowering throughout the summer, too.
I should mention that MY tree was a WalMart clearance special, at $9.00 :gig

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you Great info on the beautiful magnolia tree. Thank you. 😊
Dwarf magnolia trees is a good option at 10’ to 20’ tall.

Ahhhh, magnolia trees. They are beautiful, fragrant, and majestic. The large scented blooms are stunning and the first tree to bloom in April. Did you know that magnolia trees are ancient? They have been around for millions and millions of years. This explains why these flowering trees are so hardy and adaptable.

I grow the ‘Jane’ magnolias. They are dwarf mags expected to grow to 10’ to 16’ tall and 6’ to 8’ wide.
They grow fast and ‘Jane' is tolerant of heavy clay soils, air pollution, and also heat. Cold hardy to -30 degrees. Survived many ice storms over the years and blooms the next spring like nobodies business.

There is a down side with ‘Jane’ , the growth height has way exceeded the height of 10’ to 16’ more like to 30’ now. I planted 6 of them for shade.
The down side of this cultivar it is a constant trim just to keep them down to appropriate size. I have trimmed them down to their skivvies , they come back better and stronger. Oh wow a big mess when shedding all the flowers and leaves. They are extremely fast growing , like a huge weed…can’t stop their growth habits which has exceeded the average expectations of this cultivar height and width.
The up side . The blooms are always a sight when everything else in the garden is still fast asleep. There is no insect issue, they are deer proof and have zero ground critters . Very showy for 3-4 weeks and a great shade tree.

😉 The review ducks4you has posted on above post on various cultivars’s of mags is the reason I started this post on flowering trees to share info on various cultivar’s of flowering trees.

I have a collection of trees in my garden and planted over 62 trees . Some flowering , large, small, weeping , dwarfs . Also evergreens such as fir, cryptomerias, cypress, juniper, spruce, Doug fir, pines, maples, and some very unusual trees .

Hope to see more posts. 👍

Attachments

• IMG_7674.jpeg
    IMG_7674.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 6