Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Happy Halloween bean lovers!
6C97327A-B6A4-45B8-9B50-267AAEBEF2B4.jpeg
F722FA23-449D-49CC-ABB4-5E209C7ACD63.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not sure what the first pumpkin is but it is interesting. :)

for those who want to use your own imaginations don't read the next bit because i don't want to bais your creative imaginations...

to me it looks like Barney (from the Flintstones) holding a finger up to his mouth like telling everyone to be quiet... (and he's wearing sunglasses)

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm not sure what the first pumpkin is but it is interesting. :)

for those who want to use your own imaginations don't read the next bit because i don't want to bais your creative imaginations...

to me it looks like Barney (from the Flintstones) holding a finger up to his mouth like telling everyone to be quiet... (and he's wearing sunglasses)
A lion. ;)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The morning was spent shelling beans, and I am one pod away from finishing my meagre harvest of Network beans 'Orange Speckled Tepary' and 'Van Gogh's Olive'-- which is fine with me, because I can hardly wait for my relationship with these beans to end. Lol. They were almost a bust, especially the minuscule orange ones. It makes me wonder why anyone would want to grow such a tiny bean. Thoughts? Musings? And by the way, I was expecting more pods of the out-cross pink Candy-type beans to surface in the Van Gogh patch, however one pod of those was all that there was.

I have two more Network bean cultivars that are still in progress, each of which are trying valiantly to produce mature pods before the rain ruins the plants. There is a good chance that I can get a few more seeds in time to send them back. A question for you Blue Jay: the paper work that I am sending back indicates 50 seeds per variety. If I only have a handful of seeds should I count them and change the number on the document to reflect the exact number of beans? For example, with the tepary I only have about 15 little beans to send back to you.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_125535047.jpg
    IMG_20231102_125535047.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 65

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The morning was spent shelling beans, and I am one pod away from finishing my meagre harvest of Network beans 'Orange Speckled Tepary' and 'Van Gogh's Olive'-- which is fine with me, because I can hardly wait for my relationship with these beans to end. Lol. They were almost a bust, especially the minuscule orange ones. It makes me wonder why anyone would want to grow such a tiny bean. Thoughts? Musings?

tepary beans are a dry climate survival type thing as they will probably not do that great in wetter places.

having grown some red adzuki beans that are very tiny i would probably not mind at all about a tiny bean like what you describe. just remember that small beans can produce where other beans may fail and that is why i try to breed for medium to smaller sized beans because i cannot predict what the weather is going to do and also i see for my own results that the larger beans may do ok, but some of them don't do well if the season is at all unusual at just the wrong time. the lesson i take from this is diversity is a good thing. plant some of various kinds of beans and see what happens - find those that work for your gardens and then keep going and find some others. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tepary beans are a dry climate survival type thing as they will probably not do that great in wetter places.
:)
The strange thing is that our weather was exceptionally hot and dry, and even with a lot of watering the tiny orange teparies did poorly-- and my Grey Speckled Tepary yielded only a couple tablespoons of seed. And even if you were fortunate to have a bumper crop these beans are so small that I suspect you would need to plant a massive plot to get enough for just one meal. ( Anasazi Tepary beans are much larger and have yielded well for me two years in a row).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay: the paper work that I am sending back indicates 50 seeds per variety. If I only have a handful of seeds should I count them and change the number on the document to reflect the exact number of beans? For example, with the tepary I only have about 15 little beans to send back to you.
Yes if you have less seed than the current number printed on the packets and inventory package list you can cross out the number you are changing and write in the correct amount. Yes I would count them.

Latest posts