2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted a few Purple Dove beans in some spots a week ago too, and not everything came up (the seed vendor I got those from sold me pretty bad seeds for all species I requested from them) so I filled in those empty spots and counted my lucky stars that a few of the Purple Doves did ultimately sprout. That whole series of beans (Blooming Prairie, Purple Dove etc.) have such a unique coloring I'm tempted to try them all. :p

as far as i know i've planted all of the Robert Lobitz purple beans that i could find on @Blue-Jay 's website and requested them. they all grew well in our various garden soils (i have a range of decent to various poorer quality garden soils so i can evaluate how different varieties grow).

my rather very biased opinion is that Purple Dove is the best of them. :) all of the others are very similar to each other except onethat bloomed later and finished a bit too late for my preferences, but in terms of edible fresh bean eating we've been very happy with Purple Dove and i've not replanted any of the others yet. even if the seeds look identical they are however also verified by me to be unique enough to keep them apart (so i do not grow the others yet and probably won't).

in my continued quest for Purple Dove outcrosses to make a great bean even better i've got some that i planted from last year's crop of outcrosses and then i also replanted this year some of those i grew last year which gave me some really interesting beans and i hope they come true because they eliminate one feature of PD that is not beautiful and that is the area around the hilum of the bean gets a brown or tan stain and it doesn't look clean or quite right when looking at it as a dry bean. granted when cooking them up and eating them this is not an issue of flavor or appearance after they are cooked. PD is a mild pinto flavor and cooks faster than a pinto bean (because it is a smaller bean). the texture is also perfect for me.

the new outcrosses i planted avoid that around the hilum discoloration problem because i think they crossed with Lavender bush beans that have a long and plain white hilum and the area is a clean white. if they come true i'll be delighted, if they have all the rest of the PD traits i like i'll be super happy.

these are the RL purple beans that i know of from my notes, parenthesis are the 1st year i grew them.

Early Enough Bush Beans:

Blooming Prairie (2022)
Delano (2022)
Purple Diamond (2020)
Purple Dove (2018)
Purple Rain (2020)
Purple Rose (2020)

Semi-Runner Early Enough Beans:

Purple Rose Creek (2022)
Viola (2022)

Bush Bean Honorable Mention (grew ok, but too late):

Chaska Purple (a few weeks too late) (2022)

None produced seeds that looked like Purple Dove and they all seemed distinct enough from each other but I would not want to mix up the seeds because they were all very similar to each other (other than Purple Dove being smaller and not so round).

Last edited:

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Decoy1 here is some information about Bonel bean. The article is in Italian, but Uncle Google will definitely help you translate it :)

I have not seen this bean seeds in online stores. I have a few from swap.

Did you see the PM I sent you?
Thank you, Artorius. Very interesting to have the background information on Bonel di Fonzaso.

And I’m sorry I hadn’t noticed your PM. I’ve replied now.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A very late 2024 bean list, and a very late garden thus year. The weather has not been cooperative, so these (and everything else I intend to grow this year) have only today been started in pots:

Common beans:
- Bosnian Pole (pole snap)
- Emerite (pole snap)
- Giant Red Tarka (bush shelly)
- Hodson's Silver Wax (pole? wax, new trial)
- Woods Mountain Crazy Bean (bush snap)
Cowpeas/yardlongs:
- Chinese Red Noodle (red yardlong)
- Long King (green yardlong)
- MN 150 (bush cowpea)
Hyacinth bean: Early Meaty
Lima: German Butterbean
Runner: Piekny Jas (white flowered)
Soybeans:
- Bei 77-6177
- Natsu Kurakake
- Sapporo Midori

I know I've been AWOL on these forums recently. My personal life took another gut punch, with the loss of my Mother in April (which seems to be a really bad month for me :(). The subsequent ghoulish squabbling of some of my siblings over her estate (which is ongoing) hasn't helped. It has been hard to summon up enough motivation to do much of anything, and the neglect of yard & garden has reflected that. And oh yeah, I still have to deal with the 40-50 dead ash trees in my back yard. :th

My target deadline for seed crops is June 15th, so the garden plan has been revised into what I call Phase 2; only short-season beans, and vegetables harvested immature. My peppers were started before my life went off the rails again, so at least those should be close to normal. But I have completely given up on the rural plot, except for the 2023/2024 garlic planting (which based upon its exceptionally strong early start, may be the only thing which does well this year). I should still be able to get dry seed from the cowpeas, but all the other beans will be "iffy" - so I hope that we have a warm Fall.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Major bean drama around here the last 48 hours; thankfully for me, not much of it is related to my gardens so far. My poor elderly neighbour though, who loves his little backyard garden, had a groundhog make temporary residence under one of his sheds. He discovered yesterday evening that he has lost three rows of bush beans (so - most of them). He had noticed a cucumber plant the day before had disappeared and was utterly bewildered about what happened. It was planted as a single among a sea of petunias. He's lived here for over 20 years and never had a little hog bother him. His garden is a short distance from his shed so it seems the critter is just going back and forth between the 2.

So after he came over to tell us (and warn us) about the decimated bean rows, he retreated inside for supper. An hour later he came out to find the groundhog in his garden again & more missing bean plants! He was not a happy camper; we've all been spoiled for years never dealing with these. The new housing developments that surround us are driving them from their traditional living areas.

So, of course I've been taking precautions as much as I can but I can't possibly protect 6 gardens full of beans at this point in the year. Knock on wood, he's only munched a single leaf off a few plants - Blue Gold Star and Bomba!!! He's eaten a single bean seedling (one of the few that had been seeded in ground) that was going to be thinned anyway. I'm both thankful and surprised that he has been so kind. It's been 3 days that he's been around.

I'm thinking that in this case, the fact that I started plants so early has really saved me. He probably is bothering only my neighbour since he plants beans around June 7th - all his plants were tiny without true leaves yet. I may have felt a tiny bit of regret a few days ago that I started the plants a bit too early this year, but I'm now seriously rethinking that. Even if the transplanting slows them a little, I'm glad that they're so old now. I don't think I would have been so spared of his pillaging if they were younger.

Clearly they like bean plants; I have cabbages and kales and peas galore and not a single one seems to have been touched?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clearly they like bean plants; I have cabbages and kales and peas galore and not a single one seems to have been touched?

groundhog is a perfectly apt name for them, they can do a lot of damage, but i consider rabbits worse for beans because while a groundhog may chew on the young growth of beans they will usually leave enough alone that the plant will survive and give some kind of crop. rabbits eat lower to the ground and will take bean plants off below the level of the first leaves.

still though, without fences i'd not have much of a garden here at all these days. it's been a very busy year with all sorts of green eating creatures.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I've been AWOL on these forums recently. My personal life took another gut punch, with the loss of my Mother in April (which seems to be a really bad month for me :(). The subsequent ghoulish squabbling of some of my siblings over her estate (which is ongoing) hasn't helped. It has been hard to summon up enough motivation to do much of anything, and the neglect of yard & garden has reflected that. And oh yeah, I still have to deal with the 40-50 dead ash trees in my back yard. :th

wow, that's quite a pile of things to deal with. i've certainly missed your being here.

My target deadline for seed crops is June 15th, so the garden plan has been revised into what I call Phase 2; only short-season beans, and vegetables harvested immature. My peppers were started before my life went off the rails again, so at least those should be close to normal. But I have completely given up on the rural plot, except for the 2023/2024 garlic planting (which based upon its exceptionally strong early start, may be the only thing which does well this year). I should still be able to get dry seed from the cowpeas, but all the other beans will be "iffy" - so I hope that we have a warm Fall.

i was hoping for a more normal spring this year and it was going pretty well. early summer so far is too wet (as i watch yet another storm coming at us). i probably am not going to be able to finish planting my last garden for a dry bean harvest of any size, but a cover crop and for fresh bean eating might still work.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this looks like it for my planting list this year:

Code:
  - Andikove (network retry)
  - Half Whites
    - Brown and White
    - Red and White
    - Small Black and White
  - Flair (pdoc)
  - Fluffy (pdoc)
  - Huey
  - Koronis Three Islands
  - Lavender
  - Light Green (loc)
  - Matte Brown
  - Montville (network retry)
  - Painted Pony
  - Painted Pony Outcross Black
  - Painted Pony Outcross Brown
  - Pale (pdoc)
  - Pale Purple (pdoc)
  - Purple Dove
  - Purple Dove Odds (seven selections of pdoc)
    - Spot
    - Lines
    - Bland
    - Splotch
    - Top Mark
    - Bluish
    - Spotty Bluish
  - Red Ryder
  - Sacre Bleu (pole)
  - Skinny (pdoc)
  - Tinker's Fire
  - Venda
  - Vermont Appaloosa
  - Yed
  - Yellow Eye

a lot of pdoc (Purple Dove Outcrosses) and a few other very promising beans i hope something comes from.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh! This is fun! Grow out lists! I love to see people's grow out lists, I hope all the bean thread followers jump on board! 🛶

eta: My list didn't copy over very well from my google doc so it probably isn't perfect, and that's also why there are some gaps in there but it's a rough estimate. There's also some out there I'm sure I put in in the last minute so it's not on here.

Eden Valley
Horsehead
Mala Zelena
Slavonski Zeleni
Schwarz Valder
Buxton Buckshot
Donald Todd Half-Runner
Gillenwater
Black & White Goose
Zuni Shalako
Kilham Goose
Trevio Nun
Santa Maria Pinquito
Steven’s Black Eye
Ranger
Brown Eyed Goose
Poletschka
Leslie Tenderpod
Hastings
Petit Gris
Volga German Siberian
Zambezi #2
Olga’s Yugoslavian
Lambada
Champagne
Octarora Cornfield
Stayley’s Star
Stibitz
Tunny
North Carolina
Ruth Bible
Nickel
Fat Man
Blue & White of Bernardo
Aunt Maggie
Blue Tip
Blaue Graue
Botosani Cyclops
Fagiolo Ruviotti
Kruger’s Speckled Caseknife
Blue Gold Star
Dule
Goose
Green String
Granny
Harvey’s White Haricot
Robert Hazelwood
Zimbabwe Stones
Pink Quartz
Mona Lisa
Greek Multicolor
Brizzolo Toscana
Sivcek
Fiagiolo de la Bereta
Unbekannte n.64
Gold und Silber
Coree de Sang Hoon
Tega Gnocca
Pragerhoff
Enfant de Couer de Arnold Aosta
Macia
Grasa de Transilvania
Bismarck Furst
Brunhilde
Mazlenk Rumen Visok II
Oude Sloveense Boterboon
Quatre au Metre
Emperor of Russia
Declivis Romulus
Tytania
Paulchen
Cannelino Nero Bush
Porcelain Bean
Rosso Di Lucca
Coco a la Creme
Riesenkorn aus Omsk
Poroto Huancabamba
Syrian Fire
Fumolet di Fonzaso
Bomba
Nigel
Early Refuge
Purple Dove
White Beauty

Cresnjevec
Zebra Aus Tenerife
Ocean View
Rinzenberg
Etsdorfer
Grumbliai
Monachello di Esino Lario
Aloisia Schwarz
Dinah’s Climbing
Afartapobres d’Orista
Madeira Maroon
Braune Tereza
Senyorita
Napoleon
Mauchlebohne
Muotathaler
Steirische Grüne
Stuttgarter Riesen
Brita’s Footlong
Daržinėlės
Konstatin
Gottscheer
Marmorierter Mond
Myrtle Allen
Siebenbürgen Kärnten
Ruhm vom Vorgebirge
Perle Von Marbach
Hunsrücker Weisse

Cumberland Heritage
Posena
Cascade Giant
Royal City Cannery
Astrid
Lena’s Bean
Ram D’or
Blue Spitball
Saxon
Gabarone Sugar
Youdou #2
Bobis D’Albenga
Turtle Peas (bean)
Coral
Lena's Bean
Goose
Dow Purple Pod
Anakin Kuvali Giant
Sultan's Golden Crescent
Wildtaler
Muni Chocame
Grand Maman Dinel

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh! This is fun! Grow out lists! I love to see people's grow out lists, I hope all the bean thread followers jump on board! 🛶

:)

eta: My list didn't copy over very well from my google doc so it probably isn't perfect, and that's also why there are some gaps in there but it's a rough estimate. There's also some out there I'm sure I put in in the last minute so it's not on here.

it's hard to get formatting to copy and paste correctly, but i used Code (under More Options) and at least it kept the rough format ok...

Latest posts