2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Barry Island Network Pole Green Bean. Largest and flattest bean pod I've ever grown. This is definitely not the typical green bean I'm used to growing! Like a Seychelles, blue lake, jade II, etc. is it actually a green bean? Or a dry bean that was mislabeled? They are interesting!
IMG_20240717_185536286.jpg
IMG_20240717_185555438.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show Vol. #10 2024

Here are two bean wheels that someone has created. It thought they were pretty neat looking.

View attachment 67105View attachment 67106
It was Baker Creek. I think it was Joe who did the actual wheels. I know I was waiting for those yellow and black limas to get on the market, but I don't think he has released them yet.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow that is early!
It is! But, realistically, it's probably not a good thing. I think something stressed my plants early in the year, and the plants rushed to production. So the yields of pods from the plants will be low....unless now that I've picked these, the plants put on a second set of beans. I've heard some varieties, like Ga Ga Hut, will do that. So I've got my fingers crossed. At the very least I have more seeds than I started with to try again. These ones aren't in the 🇨🇦 seed marketplace, so I'm glad to have even a little of them! lol

jbrobin09

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am having a terrible bean year! Planted the last of my Ft. Portal Jade and got only one plant out of 15-ish beans. Our weather was just too cold and windy through the whole of June. And now we’ve got weeks of +30C and hotter with hardly any rain. I think I angered the bean gods when I bragged that I had never had any issues growing beans. Lol. Consider me humbled.

Some of the varieties I planted were my last few so I’ll have to track down some new ones. The ones I planted at end of June when the weather finally warmed are growing very fast so hopefully I’ll get some seeds from those. Doukhobor is super vigorous. And I really hope the network beans can recover. I pre-started them but then didn’t want to plant until the weather warmed. So they went in quite late and they were stressed. Fingers crossed!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having a terrible bean year! Planted the last of my Ft. Portal Jade and got only one plant out of 15-ish beans. Our weather was just too cold and windy through the whole of June. And now we’ve got weeks of +30C and hotter with hardly any rain. I think I angered the bean gods when I bragged that I had never had any issues growing beans. Lol. Consider me humbled.

i find a bit too often that when i begin to think i've got it all figured out something somewhere likes to tweek my nose. :)

Some of the varieties I planted were my last few so I’ll have to track down some new ones. The ones I planted at end of June when the weather finally warmed are growing very fast so hopefully I’ll get some seeds from those. Doukhobor is super vigorous. And I really hope the network beans can recover. I pre-started them but then didn’t want to plant until the weather warmed. So they went in quite late and they were stressed. Fingers crossed!

wow! sorry it isn't working out well for you this year.

my own adventures with FPJ can be read here in TEG. if you have a sunny enough window someplace put a few in a pot and maybe they will be able to give you some seeds before it gets too late in the season for them to get enough light.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I think the expression 'the humble bean' needs to be adjusted to 'the humbling bean'. They're beasts with no mercy.

Latest posts