2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I cut the vines of the last dry bean mix yesterday and currently I just have the USDA bean that has taken all season and four varieties on my cattle panel arches that are mostly for fresh eating and preserving. Most of the dried seed is packaged up except for a few of the late varieties. My seed drying operation is now restricted to one upper shelf as I've been bringing in plants to overwinter and need the space. I bought a new 24 muffin capacity baking pan at a yard sale and I have 22 of the spots filled with different seeds of the landrace mix. I will return a portion of them and decided I could get a more accurate mix if I separated them all out. Plus there's at least three I want to grow separately next year to see if they come true.

My hubby has been having some health issues but feeling better and itching to do something yesterday, so I gave him the bags of empty hulls and he ran them through the garden shredder along with some of the dried vines. So we're making some progress and I'm trying to stay a step ahead of the frost.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had the wierdest weather today, drizzling and getting sunny back and forth all day long. *Tried* to take a few pictures today, the Gold und Silber outcross bean sure is a pink lover's dream. I have my fingers crossed that it's stable and will grow true to type in the future. I think it will darken with time, as all beans do, but a true pastel pink bean while fully dried is a rarity. I adore this pink bean!
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG
IMG_3588.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh dear. Sorry for my careless reading after your efforts to clarify. Looking back at your message you made it very clear that you had similarly rounded seeds from Deaflora. It will be interesting to see whether Guy Dirix can cast light on where his and Bohnen-Atlas’s longer seeds might have come from.

Guy Dirix wrote to me that he received the Gold und Silber seeds from a German bean grower Solja Kaltenbach from Bienenbüttel. I don't know if she is somehow connected with Bohnen-Atlas.
I haven't received a response from Deaflora yet.

This year I grew Paulchen which was also bred by Solja Kaltenbach. Very nice bean.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Guy Dirix wrote to me that he received the Gold und Silber seeds from a German bean grower Solja Kaltenbach from Bienenbüttel. I don't know if she is somehow connected with Bohnen-Atlas.
I haven't received a response from Deaflora yet.

This year I grew Paulchen which was also bred by Solja Kaltenbach. Very nice bean.
Interesting. Do you know whether Guy Dirix donated Gold und Silber to Bohnen-Atlas?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i sure made more work for myself in picking those pods before they were dried down, but i guess i am learning what not to do for next time if this becomes an issue again. :) i hope it doesn't as i won't plan on planting that late next year...

i am making a little headway here or there in my room with shelling beans but the nice weather has gotten me more outside while i can get things done at a reasonable temperature. getting four bags of pods out into the gardens and buried freed up some valuable floor space and the bags i was running low on.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

What different colored pods have you found in all the beans you have grown. Pods just with solid color and no stripes or streaking. A farm woman in Blyth that I think both you and I know wants pods with different colors other than green and without the purple and red streaks. I don't know what to tell her. She's already grown Coral.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

...A farm woman in Blyth that I think both you and I know wants pods with different colors other than green and without the the purple and red streaks. I don't know what to tell her. She's already grown Coral.

Purple Dove! :) :) :) Some of the black beans also have very nice purple pods.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal

What different colored pods have you found in all the beans you have grown. Pods just with solid color and no stripes or streaking. A farm woman in Blyth that I think both you and I know wants pods with different colors other than green and without the the purple and red streaks. I don't know what to tell her. She's already grown Coral.
She wants a fresh eating snap bean in something besides green, or green with stripes/streaks? Wax beans come to mind, or Red Swan/Tanya's Pink which are both sort of dark pink if you trim some leaves, the Stibitz bean you have is quite unique and pinkish as well. As flowerbug mentioned, there are all those purple podded bean varieties too?

Funny enough, I got the Coral beans originally from her.

Last edited: