2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Neen5MI

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
One of my favorite parts of this thread is recipes, which I don't think I ever have seen enough of! I'm interested in seeing the lentil curry recipe you have!
I've included a link to the recipe that I used as a jumping off point. I'm incapable of following a recipe accurately 🙄, using the whole onion rather than the measured amount called for, extra garlic, extra spices in general, and a mixture of dry beans. My significant other asked that I add chicken, so I added a quart of my home grown, home canned chicken. There are many versions of this dish on line with more traditional treatment of the spices, but I was very happy with this relative shortcut one.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've included a link to the recipe that I used as a jumping off point. I'm incapable of following a recipe accurately 🙄, using the whole onion rather than the measured amount called for, extra garlic, extra spices in general, and a mixture of dry beans. My significant other asked that I add chicken, so I added a quart of my home grown, home canned chicken. There are many versions of this dish on line with more traditional treatment of the spices, but I was very happy with this relative shortcut one.

I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing

jbrobin09

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has anyone grown Doukhobor beans? I was sent some to grow out by Seeds of Diversity but I can’t find much info on them. The PEI Seed Alliance has them, listed from the same source but minimal info on them. They are bush and snap/dry both. Pic from PEISeedAlliance
1719942599104.png

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone grown Doukhobor beans? I was sent some to grow out by Seeds of Diversity but I can’t find much info on them. The PEI Seed Alliance has them, listed from the same source but minimal info on them. They are bush and snap/dry both. Pic from PEISeedAlliance
I don't know if this contributes much on this bean but the Doukhobor's came from Russia into Canada years ago. Settling in Saskatchewan and BC. They have their own communes. Probably much like the Amish here in U.S. So very likely that is where your bean comes, Russia.

You can read this if you like https://doukhobor.org/doukhobor-farms-supply-all-needs/

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today is National Eat Your Beans Day in the USoA, but there is also a National Bean Day too as Jan 6 which is the anniversary of Gregor Mendel's death.

my brother was talking to my Mom on the phone and mentioned that today was National Bean Day but when i looked it up i found out that yes, there are at least two bean related national days a year.

i also happened to have made a bean burrito for breakfast this morning to use up the beans i had i the fridge that were calling out to me. yes, they were delicious... :)

Neen5MI

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
One of the network beans I'm growing this year is Dixie Speckled Butterpea. Only 3 seeds sprouted, but the resulting plants are strong and healthy. The thing is, they're not climbing. I would not knowingly have requested a bush bean (personal preference). When I googled the variety, it appears the name is assigned to both a pole and a bush bean. Ah well.

In other news, I planted so many edamame this year, because my S.O. loves it, and has only ever experienced generic, unnamed varieties from large, mainstream seed companies. The plants are in a newly allocated space on his small blueberry farm, which has never, in 25 years, had any deer damage. Well, apparently the edamame (and other beans) were too great a temptation, and we are experiencing nightly nibbling, extending to pepper, cantaloupe, and watermelon. So disheartening. 😔 This year is likely a total loss (My home garden is untouched, thankfully.), and we're brainstorming about fencing options for subsequent growing seasons.

Latest posts