2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if this contributes much on this bean but the Doukhobor's came from Russia into Canada years ago. Settling in Saskatchewan and BC. They have their own communes. Probably much like the Amish here in U.S. So very likely that is where your bean comes, Russia.

You can read this if you like https://doukhobor.org/doukhobor-farms-supply-all-needs/

interesting reading (and sure beats what i was likely going to read anyways :) ) - thanks for the added information.

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in awe of all the magnificent beans on this thread and hope to be a contributor in the near future.

I'm currently growing three varieties of beans as part of a USDA trial and a few heirloom varieties. Also have two different landrace mixes from Going to Seed planted. My preference is Appalachian varieties with an emphasis on cut-short beans, but the thoughts of breeding and propagating new varieties fascinates me.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in awe of all the magnificent beans on this thread and hope to be a contributor in the near future.

I'm currently growing three varieties of beans as part of a USDA trial and a few heirloom varieties. Also have two different landrace mixes from Going to Seed planted. My preference is Appalachian varieties with an emphasis on cut-short beans, but the thoughts of breeding and propagating new varieties fascinates me.
I think I'm growing a few Appalachian varieties this year, I haven't done much research on them yet so I might have a couple of these wrong. Most of them are network beans; Ruth Bible, Fat Man, Hastings, Granny, Nickell, Blue Tip, Goose, Donald Todd Half Runner. I'm happy that so far they all seem to be doing quite well. :)

The term 'cutshort' is always a reference to the shape of the bean seeds, right?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

oh my! i don't keep cut shorts as i want rounded beans. if you'd like me to send you a bunch more let me know your address in a PM and i'll send them sometime (probably this winter :) )...

i'll probably also include other beans just in case you don't have enough already... :) :) :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The term 'cutshort' is always a reference to the shape of the bean seeds, right?

as far as i can recall seeing it used.

they seem to come about as normal variation in outcrosses.

had i seen @ruralmamma 's note a few years ago they could have had about 50 different selections i'd kept aside just in case i ran across someone who would want them. i'm not sure what i have now. i may still be able to find a lot of them in two more containers of weeded out bean seeds i've not cooked yet. that will be a winter project... the other two containers already went to the great bean stomach in the sky.

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
oh my! i don't keep cut shorts as i want rounded beans. if you'd like me to send you a bunch more let me know your address in a PM and i'll send them sometime (probably this winter :) )...

i'll probably also include other beans just in case you don't have enough already... :) :) :)
That would be awesome!

ruralmamma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I'm growing a few Appalachian varieties this year, I haven't done much research on them yet so I might have a couple of these wrong. Most of them are network beans; Ruth Bible, Fat Man, Hastings, Granny, Nickell, Blue Tip, Goose, Donald Todd Half Runner. I'm happy that so far they all seem to be doing quite well. :)

I'm also growing Fat Man this year. My great-aunt used to declare them the best bean ever. Not sure I agree with her 100% but they're pretty good.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm also growing Fat Man this year. My great-aunt used to declare them the best bean ever. Not sure I agree with her 100% but they're pretty good.

i'm not sure i've had any dried beans that i did not like, but i've not sampled all of them yet. please send more...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show Vol. #7 2024

Brazilian Bean #12.jpgBrazilian Bean #13.jpg

Brazilian Bean #12...............................Brazilian Bean #13