2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Neen5MI

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My new drying system arrived yesterday! 😊 Increased capacity and effectiveness with decreased footprint! I got the trays at the university surplus store for a song, and I've been brainstorming a homemade rack, but decided I have neither the skills nor the time. Voila! Harvest is 75% (or more) finished. This represents everything, and there's still space for 19 more trays!
IMG_4487.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new drying system arrived yesterday! 😊 Increased capacity and effectiveness with decreased footprint! I got the trays at the university surplus store for a song, and I've been brainstorming a homemade rack, but decided I have neither the skills nor the time. Voila! Harvest is 75% (or more) finished. This represents everything, and there's still space for 19 more trays!
View attachment 69276

very nice! i'm envious for sure. :)

i cross-stack the flats and boxes to get my vertical lift for those. when i'm done for the season the flats and boxes fit inside each other and gets stacked up in the corner up on top of the bookshelves so they don't take up any floor space at all (which is critical when most of what you own is in the same room :) ).

the brown paper bags i use for bulk beans aren't very stackable especially if for some reason i want to get in them to check on how they are doing. they aren't full but they are full enough that i don't put them in boxes or flats. when i'm done shelling those out (there's nine left to go) they fold up and go back in the closet (which is jam packed full of stuff but we'll not talk about that haha!) so they don't take up any floor space until i need them again next fall. at the moment i'll probably need to get some more out as the Purple Dove bean patches need to get picked through over the next several days.

Neen5MI

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
the brown paper bags
This has been the heart of my drying system in the past, and has worked brilliantly. This year has been so rainy, and it's my first year growing network beans, so I'm a little paranoid about losing varieties to mold. What feel like crispy dry pods on the plant become soft after picking and storing in bags, even over night. I don't know if the moisture is coming from the seeds or ambient humidity, but this was the impetus to get everything in shallow layers, open to the air.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This has been the heart of my drying system in the past, and has worked brilliantly. This year has been so rainy, and it's my first year growing network beans, so I'm a little paranoid about losing varieties to mold. What feel like crispy dry pods on the plant become soft after picking and storing in bags, even over night. I don't know if the moisture is coming from the seeds or ambient humidity, but this was the impetus to get everything in shallow layers, open to the air.

i pick most pods when they are dry and leave them out to dry further in the sun for a while before i put them in paper bags, so i know they are completely dry. i sort through everything i pick because at times i do pick pods that aren't fully dried so i have to separate those pods out on flats in one layer and keep an eye on them (i rotate them or move them about once or twice a day to check for mold and to get them dried).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer Bean Show 2024 Vol. #28

I like bean wheel #114. Somebody had the patience to do that with seeds and pods. They even have the names of the beans printed on strips of paper. The Brazilian Purple Moor is pretty. It was interesting that someone grew probably in Europe Koronis Purple and like to spell the beans name starting with a C instead of a K. Dalmatiner a bush dry bean like Jacob's Cattle in Germany. All beautiful specimens of seed.

Brazilian Bean #113.jpgBrazilian Bean #114.jpg
Bean #113.............................................................Beans #114

Brazilian Bean #116 - Flambo Johnny's.jpg
Bean #116 - Flambo

Brazilian Purple Moor.jpgCoronis Violet.jpg
Bean #117 - Brazilian Purple Moor....................Coronis Purple

Dalmatiner Rot.jpg
Dalmatiner - Bush

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm glad i picked some beans yesterday as now they've added chances of rain for tomorrow and tomorrow night to the forecast. i should be able to finish up picking what is left today but it is very dewy out there at the moment so i won't get much picked this morning and probably won't get out there until after 1pm today. wet wet wet... the beans i picked yesterday got sorted and are spread out drying on flats (i checked and rotated them this morning and already they feel much better). i'll plan on doing sorting and extra drying today outside as that can really speed things up.

Latest posts