2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
My question is what does it take to get on the trial list, and what seeds are we working with?

If you want Network beans to grow or you want to get into those unnamed beans. All you have to do is email me at upadam@comcast.net. Let me know what you want to grow. I also have named beans that are not on the network pages. You perhaps might be interested to those also. What ever number of bean varieties you think you can handle. I will send them upon your request. Growers do pick beans on the Network probably according to what interests them. There are beans on the Networks pages that have never been grown out yet. Under their photo it is marked as Grown in ?

Also a big hearty bean welcome to our bean world here ! Glad you have joined us. If you love beans as much as all of us here do. You found a home for sure !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this is a wonderful idea. I am ready to play my part in seed preservation. I have spent the last few years moving, and then getting my garden space setup. I believe I am ready to take on something like this in the 2025 growing season. My question is what does it take to get on the trial list, and what seeds are we working with? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

welcome to the bean thread and TEG.

i'm curious what color those Hopi Purple String beans had for their flowers and are the pods purple or green? :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
More progress on the Lima bean front. The pods are thick and solid now, and in some cases the beans are beginning to make a little bulge that I can see and feel. We have about three weeks left until the first frost. They're growing under cover of the overhang of the roof and on nice days they get to bask in the autumn sun. Not certain if that will be enough protection from the elements to see them through to maturity, but I'm sure hoping so. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_20241024_161703350.jpg
    IMG_20241024_161703350.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20241024_161822566.jpg
    IMG_20241024_161822566.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 4

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Madeira Maroon'
I only just learned that these can be eaten as snap beans too, I wish I had tried them! I researched them a bit too late. Seeds are very large, and the vines were productive. Very nice bean.
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG

'Paulchen'
I am quite a fan of 'Dapple Grey', bit I think I may just like these even more! That speckly pink is just so nice. For a bush bean I thought the yield was really great and the seeds were all quite well formed.

IMG_4481 (1).JPG

'Fagiola de la Bereta'
This bean really is spectacular, a true navy blue with beigy gold speckles; unfortunately my vines seemed to struggle a bit and some of the beans were not formed well. There was a cross in the seeds that was aggressive and I think it stressed the other plants, crowding them and possibly robbing them of light. I am definitely going to try again with this one. I got plenty to at least try again. I can't seem to find it on Mr. Dirix's list anymore for some reason?
IMG_4524.jpg
IMG_4508.JPG

2024 bean jars mostly done
IMG_4409.JPG

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This thread has been interesting to follow. I happen to run across a you tube video on ancient heirloom varieties of beans grown by ancient Native American tribes . Great info .

Latest posts