2024 Little Easy Bean Network - Growing Heirloom Beans Of Today And Tomorrow

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal your have done a super job organizing all the different beans as well as collections info about each one.
This thread for the entire season from your garden to harvest as well as the organization of each variety of beans also reviewed with a glowing coverage of colors , production, weight and sizes from each type grown.

The first thing I gave all my grandchildren at 4 years old to grow were beans . Beans grow quickly and at the same time hold the attention of children throughout the growth cycle.

In a good way your daily coverage has held my attention and learning about so many interesting varieties and techniques for different types of beans has reignited my interest in growing beans again.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purple Dove did so well, it actually makes me wonder if beans like being grown with kale? This was from 2 plants!View attachment 69985

*cheering noises* :)

aren't they so purty! :) :) :)

i noticed one bean (sorry i do that :) ) with a darker ring around the eye which may indicate a bit too much exposure of that bean to fungi. i discard any beans that look like that if i see them (and i do look at all of the many thousands of beans i harvest several times each because either i am planning on eating them or using them to replant and in each case i don't want that kind of influence).

Purple Dove are like the Yellow Eye beans that i grow which still do a decent job of nodulating on the roots if the soil doesn't already have too much nitrogen. from the color of those beans i'd say you have great garden soil and also great conditions to get that many beans from just two plants. i'd need about 10-20 plants (depending upon the garden) to get that many beans, but i'm working in more difficult conditions and not perfect soil at all.