A.M. Kuska's 2024 Garden

Celtic_Rumor

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I usually start my garden in 2024, but this year got to a very slow start. Rocco passed away in October, so I did not feel like starting my garden then. By the time December rolled around, I realized I hadn't ordered my seeds! Between my new seeds arriving and some very generous presents from my family, I feel really motivated to garden now.

Christmas Gifts of the year was a soil block maker, a whole bunch of the pepper starting trays I have 2 of and love. Some tiny little jars for seed saving, and a time-lapse camera so I can take videos of the plants growing! It looks a bit odd in the grow tent right now because of the pink light and the shadows, but I'm looking forward to seeing my plants grow and charting their growth in a whole different way.

View attachment 63409
Here's my tomatoes in. The white block in the corner is the camera! If it works out I'll post the video, shadows and weird colors and all.
View attachment 63410
Another fun thing I got myself is this light box. I plan to spend some time playing with it with different plants and lights to see if I can make some cool photos.

I'm very excited for the year! It's going to be a great one.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I like the set up you have for your seedlings.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked on my "Tower of Tea" today, a new project. I have lemon balm, camomile, mint, etc. going into a giant stacking container sort of thing. No idea if it will work, but at least I can keep the tower well away from anywhere the mint/lemon balm can spread. I'll take pictures when it's all planted in. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
20240609_180715.jpg

Pea plants in the pea garden
20240609_180700.jpg

Tower of tea
20240609_180648.jpg

Berry bushes
20240609_180609.jpg

Ripening cherries
20240609_180555.jpg

Potatoes
20240609_180540.jpg

Garlic
20240609_180525.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't posted for a while. I've harvested the potatoes and the garlic! I'll post pictures at some point, but right now we have a bit of a pickle I'm working on.

Last week, I was watering my potato garden when suddenly a chunk of siding fell off our house! I investigated by giving the siding a little poke with my finger, and my finger went right through. Fortunately, my husband helped my father in law side his homes when they built it, so he knows how.

We've been working on it every day for a week now. I didn't know anything about siding before, but now I'm familiar with most of the process.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@AMKuska I enjoyed getting to know you thru your pics and garden challenges. One tiny tomato seed germinating too. Some interesting hobbies. You also got a slow-mo camera. And light box. What kind of slo-mo camera do you have. I am a side line photographer nothing all that great , but iPad cameras are improving .
I am trying to figure out how to take better pics of the firefly petunia that glows in the dark . The few attempts made so far are grim. But yeah the petunia buds really do glow .

This is a good time of year to replace siding ~ what caused it to fail?
A friend just replaced their siding with concrete board it’s fire resistant and just completed the painting. Home looks brand new. Improves the curb appeal by 100%.

Must visit your dog blog next.

Good luck on all your home and garden projects.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska I enjoyed getting to know you thru your pics and garden challenges. One tiny tomato seed germinating too. Some interesting hobbies. You also got a slow-mo camera. And light box. What kind of slo-mo camera do you have. I am a side line photographer nothing all that great , but iPad cameras are improving .
I am trying to figure out how to take better pics of the firefly petunia that glows in the dark . The few attempts made so far are grim. But yeah the petunia buds really do glow .

This is a good time of year to replace siding ~ what caused it to fail?
A friend just replaced their siding with concrete board it’s fire resistant and just completed the painting. Home looks brand new. Improves the curb appeal by 100%.

Must visit your dog blog next.

Good luck on all your home and garden projects.
I'm sorry, I don't know why I didn't see this.

We also replaced ours with concrete board. It's all finished except for some trim paint now. It failed in part due to age, and in part because--it wasn't really siding? It was essentially just plywood made to look like siding, with no weather backing or plywood behind it. It was so rotten on one side I could put my finger clean through it without much pressure.

I love taking pictures! I'm so glad to meet someone who is also interested. I have a wyze cam for slow motion, but it's proving difficult to get a good slow motion. The kids constantly whomping through the house shake the camera, which makes the image shake too.

I'm not much better with attempting to water the plant and bumping the camera. I have a lot of different photography equipment because I am hoping to turn my dog blog into a business. It has only just started to gain traction, but it is definitely getting there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
A LOT of good pictures get taken with a Smartphone.
DD's Swear that my DD's think I get the best shots of their cats when I feed them while they are away and send them
P.O.L. (proof of life) photos every day. It's a habit, feed and water, take the shots, sit down in the best living room chair, send the photos, then leave. Cats are in the kitchen eating so I don't have to worry about escapes.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A LOT of good pictures get taken with a Smartphone.
DD's Swear that my DD's think I get the best shots of their cats when I feed them while they are away and send them
P.O.L. (proof of life) photos every day. It's a habit, feed and water, take the shots, sit down in the best living room chair, send the photos, then leave. Cats are in the kitchen eating so I don't have to worry about escapes.
My daughter's cat would never try to escape if he was in the kitchen. That is his favorite place in the world! Every time my daughter opens the pantry door, the cat runs in and hides by the cat snacks!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I did a signing where the homeowners told me about their lovely male tuxedo cat. He and his young son found him as a kitten starving in a ditch. They brought him home and fixed him up and he is literally allergic to the outside world.
So spooky, so scary!!

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Photos from the raised garden beds. A few tomatoes and the tea garden are still alive and doing well. My daughter delighted in some tiny tomatoes I grew. She promptly made a salad for her lunch at school with them.

Attachments

• 20240912_201600.jpg
    20240912_201600.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240912_154202.jpg
    20240912_154202.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240912_154133.jpg
    20240912_154133.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240912_153714.jpg
    20240912_153714.jpg