A Seed Saver's Garden

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bit more of a setback, I'm afraid. When I actually took a closer look at my vial of Sky Pointer Cowpeas, it looks like that mold did more than the surface damage I though it did. Nearly all of the seed was totally spoiled (if I remove the seed coat and the inner cots have gotten stained by the seed coat and have turned from whitish/yellowish to brownish, it's bad). I think I'm down to only about five seeds now, unless there are any in the file box with the other small legumes I've grown (don't remember).

Also, I just remembered about the vial where I put those seeds I got that were supposed to be hog peanut but didn't look right, and I'm hoping that, during m cleanup, I didn't think they were hairy vetch seeds and toss them out (seller is gone, so I can just get more.)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bit more of a setback, I'm afraid. When I actually took a closer look at my vial of Sky Pointer Cowpeas, it looks like that mold did more than the surface damage I though it did. Nearly all of the seed was totally spoiled (if I remove the seed coat and the inner cots have gotten stained by the seed coat and have turned from whitish/yellowish to brownish, it's bad). I think I'm down to only about five seeds now, unless there are any in the file box with the other small legumes I've grown (don't remember).

Also, I just remembered about the vial where I put those seeds I got that were supposed to be hog peanut but didn't look right, and I'm hoping that, during m cleanup, I didn't think they were hairy vetch seeds and toss them out (seller is gone, so I can just get more.)
That's too bad @Pulsegleaner.

Here's some better news, I ordered those Tinga peas yesterday night and they should arrive in about 2 weeks. PM your address in the next while and I'll send some off to you when they get here. We got sort of lucky because to my shock half the lathyrus/grass pea section was sold out. Hard to imagine that species in such demand.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's too bad @Pulsegleaner.

Here's some better news, I ordered those Tinga peas yesterday night and they should arrive in about 2 weeks. PM your address in the next while and I'll send some off to you when they get here. We got sort of lucky because to my shock half the lathyrus/grass pea section was sold out. Hard to imagine that species in such demand.
Thank you. Now, we just have to hope customs doesn't grab them on the way.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pictures of the overwintering peppers. Capiscum flexuosum #1, then the Chiltepin, and the Wiri Wiri. I almost suspect the soil mix I had the chiltepin in had some contaminants originally, because the new growth leaf shapes seem to be looking more correct than the old ones. Could also be that chiltepin are not sun worshippers, and the direct hot sun on the leaves caused them to grow in a funny way. I've pinched the CF top a little, I'm actually seeing more growth in the last 2 months than I did all summer. I can't believe that the WW looks as vital as it does, when I brought it in newly clipped it really did look like a hopeless specimen.
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
IMG_5705.JPG

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good job; i feel honored to be a contributor in this project! Is the purple hue i see from LED lighting?

Each year my starts are under T-5’s to start and as the tub shelves fill up some stuff finds it’s way into another area lit with a couple LED’s. I have to be careful what i put where as i’ve discovered some stuff has an aversion to LED lighting And will go down hill if under them for long.
Some things really like them and a noticeable up-tick occurs when the lighting changes. Tomato’s really shine under them but i have no experience with peppers?
I sure hope after all your effort, you have a fruitful season with them!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'm down to only about five seeds now, unless there are any in the file box with the other small legumes I've grown (don't remember).
There aren't, I checked (in fact, the odds are the few good seeds I have were ones originally IN that box from a previous harvest, and I added them to the vial to make some room).
I've put the few remaining ones back IN the box, where it is safer, combining the two Owl's eye samples into one to make the room (I also noticed that the years have darkened the rings on those considerably, so the eye mottling that made them distinctive is no longer all that visible. Guess I'd better plant to do a regeneration soon.) Oddly the mottling on the "Little Miracle" cowpeas hasn't really darkened much, even though they are a few years older).

I suppose by the end of this coming year I ought to add the mottled and gold mung beans to that box for safety. Though I am unsure of what I could take out to make room for them. Or maybe I should just go back to the old way of having more than one box like that, and split the garden legume varieties from the weed based stuff.) Or start removing the stuff I put in there because I didn't have anywhere else at the time, like the sensitive plant seeds I pulled out of during my hunts of all those years (I know what it is, so I don't really need to grow it except for my own amusement, and it doesn't really amuse me all that much anymore.)

I THINK I found it but, as I said, since they look more or less identical to V. villosa seeds, I'd have to PLANT them to be sure.

Oh, and I stuck six of the pearl chestnuts in a pot (those six had already started to germinate, so I didn't see as I really had much choice.)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good job; i feel honored to be a contributor in this project! Is the purple hue i see from LED lighting?

Each year my starts are under T-5’s to start and as the tub shelves fill up some stuff finds it’s way into another area lit with a couple LED’s. I have to be careful what i put where as i’ve discovered some stuff has an aversion to LED lighting And will go down hill if under them for long.
Some things really like them and a noticeable up-tick occurs when the lighting changes. Tomato’s really shine under them but i have no experience with peppers?
I sure hope after all your effort, you have a fruitful season with them!
Yes, those are LED lights so they give off a wierd hue in the photos. I usually take pics under a different kind but I was sort of rushed so I cheated on photo quality! lol I have found that the peppers seem to like these lights, so far anyway. Thank you so much for the chiltepin seeds @Alasgun! I'm really looking forward (fingers crossed) to harvesting some little peppers from the plant! Given how the plant seems to be doing, I'm feeling optimistic so far. 🤞

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There aren't, I checked (in fact, the odds are the few good seeds I have were ones originally IN that box from a previous harvest, and I added them to the vial to make some room).
I've put the few remaining ones back IN the box, where it is safer, combining the two Owl's eye samples into one to make the room (I also noticed that the years have darkened the rings on those considerably, so the eye mottling that made them distinctive is no longer all that visible. Guess I'd better plant to do a regeneration soon.) Oddly the mottling on the "Little Miracle" cowpeas hasn't really darkened much, even though they are a few years older).

I suppose by the end of this coming year I ought to add the mottled and gold mung beans to that box for safety. Though I am unsure of what I could take out to make room for them. Or maybe I should just go back to the old way of having more than one box like that, and split the garden legume varieties from the weed based stuff.) Or start removing the stuff I put in there because I didn't have anywhere else at the time, like the sensitive plant seeds I pulled out of during my hunts of all those years (I know what it is, so I don't really need to grow it except for my own amusement, and it doesn't really amuse me all that much anymore.)

I THINK I found it but, as I said, since they look more or less identical to V. villosa seeds, I'd have to PLANT them to be sure.

Oh, and I stuck six of the pearl chestnuts in a pot (those six had already started to germinate, so I didn't see as I really had much choice.)
Pearl chestnuts. Now this is interesting @Pulsegleaner. I googled the name (because I didn't know what it was) and they sound mighty delicious. I guess it's a tree you're wanting to grow?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pearl chestnuts. Now this is interesting @Pulsegleaner. I googled the name (because I didn't know what it was) and they sound mighty delicious. I guess it's a tree you're wanting to grow?
Correct. With out hemlocks dying en masse, I keep trying to fill things in. Why, I don't know, every tree down gives us more needed light, and the fact I am starting with seed means I am unlikely to be here to benefit from any of them. I'm actually dubious ANYONE will, since the next people who come here could just chop them all down to make more room, or, equally likely in this time, the next person who owns our property won't be a family at all, but a real estate developer who simply wants to knock everything down, clear cut the area, and put up a McMansion they can flip for a few mil before it collapses from bad craftsmanship.

I just saw the person I got them from has Chinese Chinquapin as well (Castanea seguinii), but I doubt I have room for both (considering I will have trouble finding room for one).
I'm mostly trying these smaller nutted ones to save space, since some can be shrubs instead of trees. I'd LOVE to try Allegheny Chinquapin again, but it's the wrong season to get seed (or, at least, no one on Etsy is offering any at the moment).

Latest posts