A Seed Saver's Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think part of it may be that the common bean was actually domesticated TWICE, in two different regions (Mesoamerica and the Andean region.) So there is probably a lot of genetic variation between the two groups and so lots of odd combinations that can show up.

i've noticed that some of the crosses between the two groups will struggle to be viable in comparison to others who exhibit hybrid vigor. it can be rather stark.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've noticed that some of the crosses between the two groups will struggle to be viable in comparison to others who exhibit hybrid vigor. it can be rather stark.
One thing about semi runners that I think I have noticed is when you get crosses with semi's. They are more difficult to stablize that true bush types.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And Thai basil tends to have a consistent occurring variation I call Leopard Basil, where you get green leaves covered in purple blotches.
Now that you mention it, I have seen some basil oddities too. Usually on the more highly bred types & I've seen some green basils throw leaves with slight purple speckling and vice versa. When you read the basil descriptions at Richter's it seems like basils generally have high percentages of being true to type, but seldom come true 100% in a population. No idea why that would be.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One thing about semi runners that I think I have noticed is when you get crosses with semi's. They are more difficult to stablize that true bush types.

with the bush trait not being dominant you need two bush beans to cross to maintain the bush trait.

any semi-runners or pole beans crossing with a bush bean then you need to keep back crossing with bush beans until you get two bush bean recessive traits to line up again. at that point you cull mercilessly.

note, you may get crosses of semi-runners and pole to turn into bush beans, but they will only be a minority of the plants and to speed things up you can just backcross with a known bush bean instead if that is the only trait you are going after. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Miracle of miracles, my first ripe tomato this year, 'Beta'. I've never kept track of what my earliest tomatoes are, but at July 19th I can't help but wonder if this may be one of the earliest. After looking around the plants I see there are a few others that have fruits that are blushing pink and not green.
IMG_7948.JPG

Leaf miners have PLAGUED my Swiss chard this year, some of which is my fault as they are in part shade near buggy trees in my front yard. Maybe they didn't get enough water too, it has been very hot. But starting from when the plants were little I ripped off every piece of leaf that would show miner damage, which was sometimes half a plant. It was a brutal method, and it seemed like I might kill them doing it, but there was no point if I didn't since I'd not be able to eat them or even have them look pretty as part of my edible landscape. For a long while I was ripping off big chunks of those leaves, or full stalks, because the miners kept coming back. But it finally, mostly, worked.
IMG_7955.JPG

Looks like I'll be able to get my own seeds from the Balkan mint, which isn't really mint at all. But a very nice herb nonetheless. Next year I may have an area dedicated just for new and unique herbs in pots. There are so many to try and they do so well in containers.
IMG_7776.JPG

The palmarosa grasses finally took off from the tiny thread like leaves they had when planted. It seems the rose scent has fallen behind a citrus smell. I'd have a hard time distinguishing the plants from lemongrass right now.
IMG_7869.JPG

Peppers seldom impress me with their leaves, but the 'Trontarolo' plants have the biggest leaves I've ever seen on this species. Slower than the others to flower, but the plants are gaining size. Because I thought I'd lose all my peppers this year, I'm really enjoying the fact that these are growing well even if they are behind.
IMG_7764.JPG

Another surprise this year. 'Minusinskiy Lev' tomato, so much bigger than I anticipated. I assumed that like most of the other Russian/Eastern European tomatoes I have this year, it would be a cocktail sized tom. But these are huge. I found an Adaptive Seeds listing for it where they indeed say they grow up to a pound or more. So, this is great since I don't have many true beefsteaks out there this year.
IMG_7766 (1).JPG

Even though I'm really not a petunia fan, I seem to wind up with them when they go on sale in mid summer. I don't know why I buy these flowers that I'm not really partial to, except that they are coming up with more and more unusual varieties and they are so darn easy to keep flowering and in good shape. They've got to be one of the easiest flowers to keep going into fall looking still nearly perfect if you deadhead well. Hard to resist the ease of them. I've always liked the look of Starry Night, even though the purple shade isn't my favorite.
IMG_7951.JPG

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was out admiring pea blossoms today. I really like 'em. Such charming little vegetable flowers. I have almost all new peas growing this year so I'm always excited to see what the flowers look like on each of them. The 'Rojeva' peas are especially pretty. Almost all the peas it turns out this year are various shades of pink, with a tiny smattering of varieties that bloom in white.
IMG_8017 (1).JPG

'Monk' peas. These are even a prettier pink I think, more subdued colors. It's quite a rare one, and I'm not sure how edible it will be fresh. The seeds were extremely large, so it's probably a soup pea. I had to keep the bottom of these vines all junked up with assorted wire meshes because a huge groundhog has not left the area in a month and is eating my neighbours stuff. It's worked to keep him from harming the pea vines, but, ya it looks like a junkyard.
IMG_8008.JPG

'Ruby Beauty' pea unborn bloom. These snow peas really do look reddish-burgundy, not burgundy-burgundy in photos and I'm very curious to see if this remains true in the flesh. I'm doubtful, but open to be surprised.
IMG_8021.JPG

Made my first blueberry pie ever. OK, I didn't personally grow the blueberries, but I did pick them from the back of the property. I think that sorta counts? Picked a ton of black currants tonight too.
IMG_7998.JPG

One of the species orchids is blooming.

IMG_8047.JPG

This is for you @Artorius - it's called 'Polish Heart'.
IMG_8038.JPG

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was out admiring pea blossoms today. I really like 'em. Such charming little vegetable flowers. I have almost all new peas growing this year so I'm always excited to see what the flowers look like on each of them. The 'Rojeva' peas are especially pretty. Almost all the peas it turns out this year are various shades of pink, with a tiny smattering of varieties that bloom in white.
View attachment 67177

'Monk' peas. These are even a prettier pink I think, more subdued colors. It's quite a rare one, and I'm not sure how edible it will be fresh. The seeds were extremely large, so it's probably a soup pea. I had to keep the bottom of these vines all junked up with assorted wire meshes because a huge groundhog has not left the area in a month and is eating my neighbours stuff. It's worked to keep him from harming the pea vines, but, ya it looks like a junkyard. View attachment 67178

'Ruby Beauty' pea unborn bloom. These snow peas really do look reddish-burgundy, not burgundy-burgundy in photos and I'm very curious to see if this remains true in the flesh. I'm doubtful, but open to be surprised. View attachment 67180

Made my first blueberry pie ever. OK, I didn't personally grow the blueberries, but I did pick them from the back of the property. I think that sorta counts? Picked a ton of black currants tonight too.
View attachment 67181

One of the species orchids is blooming.

View attachment 67179

This is for you @Artorius - it's called 'Polish Heart'. View attachment 67182
Great job on the berry pie and I love the flower pics! 😍

Latest posts