A Seed Saver's Garden

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal Your braided garlic examples are well done and a nice accent while drying. Mixing lavender , statice and strawflowers add a nice touch and last forever. I used to do that with my garlic and hang across the kitchen window. Strawflowers are very fragile when dried, best to spray with a preservative for dried flowers to hold their shape and color longer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the green leaves are garden sage.

DW has never used a preservative for her dry flower bouquets and wreathes. Our approach to storing garlic has been "pragmatic." Yes, the strawflower stems break darn easily. She used twisted florist wires for the stems at times, looped thru and hidden in the petals.

Of course, garlic isn't supposed to last for long but be used in the kitchen. Clipping off the bulbs had better be done over the sink ;).

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal Your braided garlic examples are well done and a nice accent while drying. Mixing lavender , statice and strawflowers add a nice touch and last forever. I used to do that with my garlic and hang across the kitchen window. Strawflowers are very fragile when dried, best to spray with a preservative for dried flowers to hold their shape and color longer.
Thank you @Shades-of-Oregon ! Unfortunately, the braids aren't my creation I just saw them online and thought it was a great thing to do with garlic. I think the idea of braiding garlic with flowers is so pretty and creative. Do you recall the name of the flower preservative you describe? That sounds like something I'd be interested in trying. I've been wanting to grow my own strawflowers from seed for years but I've never really cared for the faded out look of dried florals. If there was something to preserve the intensity of the flower color, that would be great.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Of course, garlic isn't supposed to last for long but be used in the kitchen. Clipping off the bulbs had better be done over the sink ;).
🤣 I wondered how on earth one removes the cloves though?? Using the garlic in time; this is actually why I gave up growing garlic - it just expires in storage on me, so not really a point.

I love the idea of the sage leaves, I think as much or more so than the flowers. Garlic is a bit stinky after all. Adding lavender to the braids though, like in the 1st photo.......doesn't seem like a great idea. Who wants to eat garlic that tastes like soap?

Ah, the eternal struggle between beauty and pragmatism!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
🤣 I wondered how on earth one removes the cloves though?? Using the garlic in time; this is actually why I gave up growing garlic - it just expires in storage on me, so not really a point.

I love the idea of the sage leaves, I think as much or more so than the flowers. Garlic is a bit stinky after all. Adding lavender to the braids though, like in the 1st photo.......doesn't seem like a great idea. Who wants to eat garlic that tastes like soap?

Ah, the eternal struggle between beauty and pragmatism!
That's what happened to ME!! :hit
Still, there is a small amount to replant this Fall, and I ordered some German garlic, which, unfortunately, won't ship until next month.
Not to have a little pity party, but I Called the nursery 30 minutes north of me Last Month. They said to email questions, then call if I don't get an answer.
No email reply and the phone# doesn't work.
Here it is harvested in July, and that nursery said that they let it breathe for one month before replanting in August.
Let us weep together!!! :hugs:hit:hit:hit

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's what happened to ME!! :hit
Still, there is a small amount to replant this Fall, and I ordered some German garlic, which, unfortunately, won't ship until next month.
Not to have a little pity party, but I Called the nursery 30 minutes north of me Last Month. They said to email questions, then call if I don't get an answer.
No email reply and the phone# doesn't work.
Here it is harvested in July, and that nursery said that they let it breathe for one month before replanting in August.
Let us weep together!!! :hugs:hit:hit:hit
Yes! Those of us in cold winter climates are in a bit of a bind with garlic; from what I read, softneck garlic is a much better storing type than hardneck. So they say, it can last 8 months in storage without problems. But, and it's a big but, they do better in mild climates than cold ones. Hardneck does better in cold climates but doesn't store near as well. I'm not real experienced with garlic, but I know that all the varieties that I've ever grown expired pretty quickly on me. Maybe try some Artichoke garlic @ducks4you or Silverskin, those might store well for you AND survive your winter?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I meant to can garlic in vinegar, especially bc Youngest DD has become a gig garlic fan.
I guess it will be a better crop in 2025. My friend (Vet) says she can't get rid of Her garlic in her yard. It is hard to kill once planted.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's an illusion, but it really feels like fall outside this evening. I toured around the garden (avoiding supper dishes mostly) and taking pictures of beans. The sky was lovely. 🩵
IMG_9130.JPG

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It does feel like fall . I see the trees are starting to turn color and some species have started to drop a few leaves. Shorter days and longer colder nights signals them to stop the photosynthesis process as the the chlorophyll in plants plants is what is used to turn light into sugar gives plant than green color. This time of year the plants are breaking down and not rebuilding leaving some plants to naturally turn red, yellow , orange for that autumn colorful sweep in the landscape.

Latest posts