A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't be surprised to see some Chinese lanterns emerge next year. I fought that battle a few years ago. Thought I had them wiped out, but apparently some roots went dormant, and the battle resumed the following Spring.

The wild ground cherries that popped up in my rural garden were even worse, spreading 5-6 feet from my fence line in one year. :ep Since I've abandoned that plot, I'll never know how long it might have taken to eliminate them (or not).
They GO DORMANT!!? Noooooo......:th
Well, they never really were happy in the front yard so maybe that will help my cause?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They destroyed the entire planter of 'Chili Negre' peppers! :somad
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2432.JPG

Either they can get in at night now even though I'm routinely shutting the door, or they are going in during the day. Ugh. I really liked these and had hoped for a lot of seed. At least I had 2 outdoor plants and mice won't raid those probably for fear of owls. I picked them just in case.
IMG_2436.JPG

On a more positive note, which I prefer to focus on, I had started to believe that I'd never get seeds from the Lagos Spinach because they didn't seem to be drying, and I saw no evidence of seeds ripening anywhere. So I picked two bouquets of the 'flower' heads for DD's birthday table to use as a decoration. I went to throw them away yesterday and as I pulled the flowers out of the vase black *dust* fell everywhere! They WERE SEEDS! I guess even though I harvested the flowers when there was no sign of seed life, they dried in the vases (which had no water in them) and I was able to shake out my first seedheads!
IMG_2378.JPG

AND the tinga peas are STILL flowering! The only downside to this plant I think is there is no trellis big enough for it. Few people have trellis for peas that are over 10 feet, and this one flopped over as you can see in the pic because it just got too tall. That trellis is 8x8 feet, plus its off the ground about 2 feet and it grew 2 feet above the top before it fell. So, it is a bit big. There is some shade in that spot, maybe that didn't help.
IMG_2401.JPG

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Need to really get the peppers harvested - mice are really putting a dent in my seed crop. I found more peppers with missing seeds today, one even outdoors in a planter. 🙈 This is the worst damage yet since I started growing peppers in large numbers.

I made note of something today when I was out picking kale; the one plant in luscious, rich garden soil, that has been watered judiciously and even given some chicken manure looks EXACTLY the same as the kale in the old perennial flower bed with poor soil - which I almost never watered, never weeded, nor fed. Like, exactly the same size and condition. Interesting.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Further garden updates

Tomatoes are winding down. I suppose. There's a few left out there (a couple of green and pink cherries) but everything else is in and, at this point in the year, unless we have a VERY mild fall/winter, the odds of any new fruit showing up is remote, so what few flowers there are are probably meaningless.

Similar with the common beans, there are flowers and a few smallish early pods, but it's hard to imagine much more will reach maturity. By now, I've half a mind to (except for the few that I'm actually still short of) to start harvesting early and see if any make decent snap beans.

The Wild mung pot is wining down. Looks like it isn't as great an option as the wild rice beans or soybeans were. It grows readily enough, and flowers and pods readily enough, but seems to have the same issue the domestic soybeans used to have; once the pods reach full mature size, they just sort of STAY in that state and never actually reach the point where the seed finishes maturing. I've waited until the pods felt fully hollow/squishy (my benchmark for telling when they are harvestable, as leaving them to dry down all the way risked having them explode. It works for everything else.) and the seed is STILL sort of green (which, for this type of mung bean, is NOT the normal mature color, the ones I planted tended towards brown.)

The accidental mung is now done, but the long pot is now pumping its out, Hopefully I'll get back some of those brown as well (they're from an Afghani landrace that can be green OR brown, depending on the plants).

Since it stopped growing at such a small size (maybe that of a ping pong ball). I've decided the last Dosaki cucumber is better left to ripen fully to provide more seeds for next year rather than be used for food. It's staying out there until it's either fully yellow/ripe, or the vine it's attached to dies (at which point keeping it out there is both pointless and risky, as there ARE things that will eat them if they reach the ground.) It's beginning to yellow now, so it shouldn't be that much longer, maybe a week or two.

The lablab vines are already beginning to wither (I guess that, as a tropical plant, even cool temperatures ABOVE freezing can harm them quite a bit).

The mouse garlic will be harvested, but not until a bit later, as I want to wait until whatever that other vine that is in there dies off. They SAY you can preserve them by salting, but whether they mean packing them in just salt or pickling them I'll have to check.

There are now two jackfruit seedlings in the pot I planted. Depending on how many grow, maybe I'll try and offer the rest online in the spring (over the winter won't work, as I have no cheap way of keeping them from freezing in transport).

Latest posts