Another pie filling question...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Do you still have this recipe? I had one just like it but can't find it since we moved
Apple Pie Filling:
6-7 large apples, skinned, cored and cut into wedgy pieces, don't have to be perfect
3 tablespoons lemon juice OR the juice from one lemon, squeezed, on top of the apple slices
1 cup sugar
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

Make 2 crusts:
1 cup shortening (or butter or lard) ; 3 cups all purpose flour; approx 1 cup water in a measuring cup with 4 ice cubes
Put shortening (or the others) in a bowl. Pour in all of the flour. Shake in a teaspoon of salt (OPTIONAL.)
Hand mix until it looks like coarse oatmeal. Add 3/4 of the water and mix in thoroughly. You may not need the rest if it's humid.'
DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FLOUR, or else you are making biscuits!
Roll 1/2 of the dough into a ball.
Place between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll it out OR, if it's a hot day, cover in plastic and refridgerate for an hour first.
Roll N-S, E-W, NE-SW, NW-SE until it will fit a pie plate and peel off one of the sheets of wax paper and position the crust onto the pie plate.
Roll the remainder of the dough into a ball and repeat.
Mix the apples and the rest thoroughly. I usually pour the sugar in a soup bowl, and thoroughly mix up the other dry filling ingredients, before I pour it into the bowl with the apples, and THEN, pour That mix into the uncooked pie crust.
DOT the top of the filling with butter. The butter AND sugar AND flour will gel when the pie is cool.
Cover with the top crust and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy!