blueberries

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are everywhere in NE Indiana on muck fields. Don't have muck, in fact, just the opposite. So how about taking a tire, filling it w/composted manure, top it off w/top soil. Will the blueberries have a chance to do well?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blueberries like acid soil I dont know if they would do well in regular top soil...you might want to try potting soil for azalias

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This week in gardening class we talked about blueberries. :)
They do well in raised beds because it gives them good drainage. They need good irrigation and soil Ph around 4.2 - 4.5. You can use sulpher to lower the Ph but you need to know what it is first so you need a soil test. Probably best to amend soil this year and get it ready to plant next year.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm doing a blueberry bed right now. The bad news is I can't put in big bushes b/c it's a corner-streetlight planting, so it has to be lowbush and a few half highs that won't obstruct traffic visibility. The good news is that I won't have to dig as deep to replace the soil. I'm going with 50% or more peat, as that percentage puts the soil to acid, and it worked well for a friend of mine. On another site, someone said that she used sulphar, but her blueberries never did well until she replaced half the soil w/ peat. For the rest, I'll use Turface mvp to improve drainage yet hold moisture accessible, and compost. My partner and I are arguing about whether to also use sand; I feel Turface is more functional, and I should just use that. We (the "royal we" so far :D ) are digging a good foot down--I hope that's deep enough, then I want to double dig (fork down) another foot and encourage peat into it. I'll also have some 4" Pilgrim cranberries around a few stepping stones, and the street-side edge will have uva ursi/bearberry plants spilling over it-- they survive my front "yard" but never fruit, I realize now b/c they want acid. Anyway, I'm excited. They are described as having beautiful fall colors, flowers in the spring, and berries in b/n somewhere, so hopefully they will be appreciated by passersby.

I was toying with the idea of adding a few (acid-loving) flowers, if anyone has suggestions.

Latest posts