Bug infestation in my home

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
These bugs I have never encountered before.
They've ruined my life this week. I haven't been able to make a start on my" lion main mushroom" because of them 😕 I am so sad.

They fly and I couldn't see them until I photographed these pests.

I've used garlic cinnamon and cloves by boiling, vinegar coffee and bicarbonate soda down my plugholes.

Continually washed my floors with peppermint eucalyptus salt vinegar and peroxide and they are still appearing everywhere. Their bites are really painful.

They have a solid body. As I try to crush them with a tissue they fly off most of the time. I'm completely at a loss.

There's been an infestation in our local park and I'm wondering if we have brought them into the home a few weeks ago. We no longer go there because of this

I change my bed weekly and hoover my mattress. What the heck are these things.

1000002724.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what species of insect from the photo, but I've been infested with fruit flies this month. They come in with picked produce and/or flowers. Not sure what they look like up close, but resident advice is to trap them. This is a typical video on how to trap them:

There are also little sticky things you can buy to place near fruit or other attractant on a countertop which will trap them like flypaper. Also leaving an uncorked bottle out with a small amount of wine on the bottom will allegedly trap them.

I set out several such traps last week, and the population of fruit flies in my house has dropped dramatically this week.

Drain flies are another matter, and the only way to get rid of them is the starvation method, aka cleaning all debris from drain traps via the use of draino or snaking. (Had these one year, and removing their food source by thorough cleaning of drain traps eradicated them.)

Good luck getting rid of the little pests. Hope you'll soon be ridded of them.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure what species of insect from the photo, but I've been infested with fruit flies this month. They come in with picked produce and/or flowers. Not sure what they look like up close, but resident advice is to trap them. This is a typical video on how to trap them:

1000002724.jpg

There are also little sticky things you can buy to place near fruit or other attractant on a countertop which will trap them like flypaper. Also leaving an uncorked bottle out with a small amount of wine on the bottom will allegedly trap them.
These aren't fruit flies and I don't think that the yellow sticky attracts them. I think they have six legs
I set out several such traps last week, and the population of fruit flies in my house has dropped dramatically this week.

Drain flies are another matter, and the only way to get rid of them is the starvation method, aka cleaning all debris from drain traps via the use of draino or snaking. (Had these one year, and removing their food source by thorough cleaning of drain traps eradicated them.)

Good luck getting rid of the little pests. Hope you'll soon be ridded of them.
It looks as if these have antennas and a lot of leg's.
I have sand above my ceiling and below the floor upstairs. There were similar looking creatures coming down for several years. But they were a lot more fragile.

I reported this to the landlords but it was dismissed even the health authority dismissed it saying it was my breakfast cerial causing the problem

That person was more interested in her bf on the phone, she arrived very late and honestly I felt she just wasn't interested. (I may be totally wrong but that was the impression I had)

They move out with the smell of garlic but stick to my hall walls giving me a chance to try to catch them however the ceiling it's impossible for me. Their bodies are hard and it not always possible to squash them .

Thank you for your input. This has helped me to explain further. :)

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They almost look like stink bugs. The fact that they are hard to smash is a bit odd though however you can probably download an app that will tell you what type of bugger it is and hopefully you will be able to evict them.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
..... I think they have six legs

It looks as if these have antennas and a lot of leg's.
All insects have 6 legs. Arachnids (spiders, ticks, etc) have 8.

Those long antennae on the bug in your photo are distinctive looking though, and not similar to fruit flies. Also hard bodies not easily squished doesn't fit the description of fruit flies.

It's a shame that landlord and health officials alike are disinterested. The only grain of truth is that keeping food sources unavailable to invading insects is really the key to keeping them out of any home. It's hard this time of year with garden produce coming in to prevent unwanted pests from hitching a ride in.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
These bugs I have never encountered before.
They've ruined my life this week. I haven't been able to make a start on my" lion main mushroom" because of them 😕 I am so sad.

They fly and I couldn't see them until I photographed these pests.

I've used garlic cinnamon and cloves by boiling, vinegar coffee and bicarbonate soda down my plugholes.

Continually washed my floors with peppermint eucalyptus salt vinegar and peroxide and they are still appearing everywhere. Their bites are really painful.

They have a solid body. As I try to crush them with a tissue they fly off most of the time. I'm completely at a loss.

There's been an infestation in our local park and I'm wondering if we have brought them into the home a few weeks ago. We no longer go there because of this

I change my bed weekly and hoover my mattress. What the heck are these things.

View attachment 68476
You need to ask an expert.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The long proboscis makes me think Weevil.
Fantastic I think you have hit the nail on the head 😀 thanks ever so much

These devil's get in the vegetables and fruits.
Would you have any ideas on how to keep them out? Is there something I can tempt them to eat that would kill them.

I'll look up now but just incase I can't find anything.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use yellow sticky traps hang them around to snag when flying around. Works well in time. Keep plants inside damp not wet could be from house plants, fruits purchased etc. Just a guess , I have had that issue the biting gnats come in on bananas. I crush egg shells in my coffee grinder and placed a layer over the soil in my house plants so they can’t escape the soil when hatched some gnats are from my house plants.

Keep doing what all your doing it takes time to get rid of them completely.
I’ve been fighting those tiny thief ants. They get in draws cuboards in anything . I finally had to spray the yard with a defense commercial spray around the house perimeter, roof and other entry area surrounding the house . And I still have the little buggers popping up . It is maddening. Setting bait traps inside everywhere . I hoping in time they will take the bait to their many nests and finally disappear. They move their nest weekly.

I have been doing what you have cleaning counters floors etc. it’s getting frustrating. I know in time they will finally be gone as in past experiences. Everyone around is going thru the same infestation and stores are having a difficult time keep traps in stock.
Good luck..

Last edited:

Latest posts