Bug infestation in my home

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use yellow sticky traps hang them around to snag when flying around. Works well in time. Keep plants inside damp not wet could be from house plants, fruits purchased etc. Just a guess , I have had that issue the biting gnats come in on bananas.
That's exactly what started off the fruit fly problem. I'm a real fool and addicted to bananas. After get another bunch after shopping, I put something on the top if my last remaining banana abd carried on putting the rest of my shopping away. Then forgot about that old banana and it festered away. :oops: . Ever since the rotten flies are at everything
I crush egg shells in my coffee grinder and placed a layer over the soil in my house plants so they can’t escape the soil when hatched some gnats are from my house plants.
I'll try that on my plants
Keep doing what all your doing it takes time to get rid of them completely.
I’ve been fighting those tiny thief ants. They get in draws cuboards in anything . I finally had to spray the yard with a defense commercial spray around the house perimeter, roof and other entry area surrounding the house . And I still have the little buggers popping up . It is maddening. Setting bait traps inside everywhere . I hoping in time they will take the bait to their many nests and finally disappear. They move their nest weekly.
Nightmare, thank goodness I don't have that problem
I have been doing what you have cleaning counters floors etc. it’s getting frustrating. I know in time they will finally be gone as in past experiences. Everyone around is going thru the same infestation and stores are having a difficult time keep traps in stock.
Good luck..
The good news is I got rid of those blasted weevils. I hovered them up and got rid of the chickens mixed corn and they've all gone.

I'm wondering if can add diatomaceous earth to feed to keep them out in future . I've been meaning to look that up all day

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Shades-of-Oregon

I think you will like this article. 😀
"Diatomaceous earth", is a marvel it's a great way of keeping ants away plus the article names 50 bugs in total. I hope this will help you.

I buy the food grade. I'm making a face pack out of it soon with olive oil salt and egg

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do have the powder with DE the ants won’t pass it and just pop up somewhere else. It great for pool filters.🫣

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use yellow sticky traps hang them around to snag when flying around. Works well in time. Keep plants inside damp not wet could be from house plants, fruits purchased etc. Just a guess , I have had that issue the biting gnats come in on bananas. I crush egg shells in my coffee grinder and placed a layer over the soil in my house plants so they can’t escape the soil when hatched some gnats are from my house plants.

Keep doing what all your doing it takes time to get rid of them completely.
I’ve been fighting those tiny thief ants. They get in draws cuboards in anything . I finally had to spray the yard with a defense commercial spray around the house perimeter, roof and other entry area surrounding the house . And I still have the little buggers popping up . It is maddening. Setting bait traps inside everywhere . I hoping in time they will take the bait to their many nests and finally disappear. They move their nest weekly.

I have been doing what you have cleaning counters floors etc. it’s getting frustrating. I know in time they will finally be gone as in past experiences. Everyone around is going thru the same infestation and stores are having a difficult time keep traps in stock.
Good luck..
water with hydrogen peroxide and water, 1/4. It will kill the larvae in the soil. Any house plants that you buy, treat before you bring them in. It will take a few cycles to get rid of the gnats.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've found lots of use for it. Plus it is a really good wormer
It’s a great wormer for smaller animals . It’s just easier for me to use paste tubes dewormers for my horses to get the correct amount per weight down them in one application. Every few months I alternate different paste meds and keep a journal .

DE is great in summers (no rain) works well on slugs and snails. If I don’t use it by the end of summer my hosta’s look like Swiss cheese.

Also great way to deter aunts by also using borax , ants will not cross it. Still using every ant bait, borax, DE and Clorox cleaner on everything. Time to spray outside areas they are using to gain access to the house. It’s a war I am slowly loosing.

Last edited: