Can these grow in containers or must be planted?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are going to transplant them the best time to do it is right after they've died back. the less water they get during their dormant stage the better.

some people lift their bulbs and put them in dry storage until replanting in the fall. i've done that when i've wanted to redo a garden but it really was a lot of work that i wanted to repeat it a bunch of times. nope. they can take care of themselves if left in the ground if the conditions are suitable.
Well, they're "dead" now....😑
20240716_104146.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are likely bulbs down there. if you take a look you will find out what's up...
Ugh. So soggy. One rotted. Pulled them all. Can I store them until next year or replant elsewhere once they dry up some? Little new ones attached to some. I think I got them all up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh. So soggy. One rotted. Pulled them all. Can I store them until next year or replant elsewhere once they dry up some? Little new ones attached to some. I think I got them all up.

yes, dry them off, but don't cook them. replant in the fall. plant them where they get some drainage and as much sun as possible. if you get a dry winter water them once twice a month.

a reasonable depth for planting is three times the size of the bulb. i don't ever have critters getting into these types of bulbs.

the hard thing with the plants when they are small is to make sure you don't forget where they are and cut them off by accident. so mark them well where they are planted.

unfortunately here i garden with someone who doesn't like those types of irises so she has killed off some of the nicer ones i had.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
New plants in new pot.
20240814_181723.jpg20240816_191203.jpg

All of the bulbs were a loss. Poo holds water like a lake, bad idea. :(

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your plants look great. Need saucers under each pot to collect excess water and empty saucers after watering plants don’t like to sit in water or wet feet.Most anything can be grown in containers. As long as the soil is well draining and meets all the plants requirements.I fertilize my pots with 1/3 strength.each time I water because the water runs out the bottom holes in the pot to prevent water logged soil, which causes the roots to rot.

I also grow lily bulbs and dahlia tubers annuals and small small trees in planters. Important to follow the growing instructions for each plant. Some require a lot of water other little. Using good quality potting soil not just poo… read up on plants grown in pots lots of info online.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moved the two temporary pots of hostas to bigger pots.
Got too hot to finish preparing the next two pots for transplanting.
20240814_180635.jpg20240814_180638.jpg20240814_180645.jpg

This big container is next to be transplanted.
20240814_180633.jpg

Finished.
20240829_132725.jpg20240829_132730.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your plants look great. Need saucers under each pot to collect excess water and empty saucers after watering plants don’t like to sit in water or wet feet.Most anything can be grown in containers. As long as the soil is well draining and meets all the plants requirements.I fertilize my pots with 1/3 strength.each time I water because the water runs out the bottom holes in the pot to prevent water logged soil, which causes the roots to rot.

I also grow lily bulbs and dahlia tubers annuals and small small trees in planters. Important to follow the growing instructions for each plant. Some require a lot of water other little. Using good quality potting soil not just poo… read up on plants grown in pots lots of info online.

Idk which pot(s) you're referring to.
Red on porch has built in tray. Fake barrels I drilled holes into. But they need to be mixed with more soil, as poo holds water like a dam.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh I see now that you mentioned pots have saucers on porch. I couldn’t tell in pic on wooden deck. My apologies.
All your plant are coming along just fine. Most of mine are winding down .

Latest posts