Canning lids contain BPA

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
In the scheme of things, it pays to pay attention. :frow
Yes, but that doesn't mean that those who look at the same information and reach different conclusions are careless or thoughtless or ignorant.

"Imparting information" is good.

Berating those who disagree with your interpretation of it, maybe not so much.

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It's not like the food in canning jars actually touches the lid, except for briefly while it's actually in the canner...

Just sayin',

Pat
Yeah they said that in the article that its ok if it doesn't touch the food. BPA is a leaker (or leaches out) and takes a long time of contact to get into something. Usually high heat or prolonged sun does the trick. There are higher warning about microwaving in a container with it.

I would prefer it wasn't even on the rings... but the cost of changing over is a bit late. But I'm sure (really positive) as soon as ball sees people know about it and start complaining they'll try everything to no longer have that problem. I'm sure within a year you'll see "BPA free" on the boxes. :) A LOT of companies are doing it right now.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
patandchickens said:
It's not like the food in canning jars actually touches the lid, except for briefly while it's actually in the canner...

Just sayin',

Pat
Yeah they said that in the article that its ok if it doesn't touch the food. BPA is a leaker (or leaches out) and takes a long time of contact to get into something. Usually high heat or prolonged sun does the trick. There are higher warning about microwaving in a container with it.

I would prefer it wasn't even on the rings... but the cost of changing over is a bit late. But I'm sure (really positive) as soon as ball sees people know about it and start complaining they'll try everything to no longer have that problem. I'm sure within a year you'll see "BPA free" on the boxes. :) A LOT of companies are doing it right now.
I went back and read (and googled more) the article. I'm like vfem - I'd perfer it wasn't on the rings. I think everyone that grows their own food, cans, raises their own meat does that to make sure they are getting the "real deal" without chemicals, pesticides, hormones, etc. I've made lifestyle changes - not because I want to live forever, but becuase I want to be healthy while I'm living. Hopefully Ball will jump on the "BPA free" bandwagon.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Vfem said : Hopefully Ball will jump on the "BPA free" bandwagon.

I googled "contacting Ball regarding BPA in their canning products"

Here are some things to look at and consider.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ducts&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

In the link below, I read this article first and I found this quote. Now please tell me if BALL has known this for the past eleven years why haven't they done something. You want to know why....because no one is complaining. And, by the way I used to use Eden products, and they are very good but I could not afford them anymore so I went to dry beans ....which I actually like better.

http://mommygoesgreen.com/tag/bisphenol-a/

"2. Buy Eden Foods canned goods. According to their website, All 33 Eden Organic Beans including Chili, Rice & Beans, Refried, and Flavored, are cooked in steel cans coated with a baked on oleoresinous c-enamel that does not contain the endocrine disrupter chemical, bisphenol-A (BPA). Oleoresin is a non-toxic mixture of an oil and a resin extracted from various plants, such as pine or balsam fir. These cans cost 14% more than the industry standard cans that do contain BPA. The Ball Corporation tells us that Eden is the only U.S. food maker to date to use these BPA free cans and we have been since April 1999. Buy online and get 15% off with the coupon code OCA. "

I have one question. Quote: "The Ball Corporation tells us that Eden is the only U.S. food maker to date to use these BPA free cans and we have been since April 1999. Does this mean that Eden is part of Ball Industries and if so why are they NOT making BPA free canning products. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for your patience. This is getting more interesting by the minute. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No problem Lady, all I'm saying is its not RIGHT that they know and haven't done anything... the point is, people have to know and complain to get anything done. They won't JUST do it... No one would if they think they are getting away with something.

I'm just saying that in the last 3 years (which is really when the information came out and research began publishing things jouralistic style to the public) is when companies started making changes.

The first big public change was by the giant recall on Baby bottles.

With that said its just a waiting and complaining game.

Not to mention, the federal government hasn't exactly came running out yelling "BPA is illegal in products sold in the US". Which makes me wonder how long they knew lead was poisonous and killing people, before they finally decided the public's health was more important then cheap industry?

edited: for my sad spelling attempts

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ladyhawke1 said:
And those were not my words... I'm hopeful they choose to make the change now they've been called out.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I ordered some of the Tattler lids and rings.
Let us know how you like them! Anyone else out there using these and like them?

I'm ok with the Ball lids since it doesn't touch the food, definitely a step up from store-bought canned goods either way...

What I hate is getting ready to do up a big batch of summer harvest and finding out that I don't have enough lids on hand....(I have a 30 min. drive to town). Anything that I can reuse indefinitely sounds like a good idea in my book. Especially if the SHTF and ol' Wally world is out of stock. :rolleyes:

Also, for freezer jams or anything else you would want to freeze in a canning jar, instead of processing and sealing--these look like they would be better for that. I am always wary of reusing an unprocessed lid that was previously used for freezing, just in case I wore it out and it might not seal properly, but I can't bring myself to toss it out so I use it anyway! The Tattler lids would solve that problem for me too. :p

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I almost always reuse things like spghetti sauce lids. I've yet to have one fail me. Whenever I can I look for the jars that American lids will fit. I know that you can buy lids for the metric jars but I hate to have to sort all my jars before I can.
However, I'm not sure that existing lids like that don't contain BPA. In fact, they probably do.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Ladyhawke1 said:
And those were not my words... I'm hopeful they choose to make the change now they've been called out.
You are correct these are not your words. I quoted the wrong person and I apologize to you. :p

Personally, I still do not understand what there is about the addition of "heat" and not "contact" that people do not understand. :rolleyes:

Latest posts