Carrot flower

jay102

Sprout
Reaction score
Woh. It's interesting that it's white carrot. It looks so strange.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wild carrot (queen anne's lace) roots are basically-white... I am more and more suspecting that the ones that're flowering either ARE queen anne's lace, or have recieved significant gene flow from it...

just a theory though,

Pat

laujoh

Sprout
Reaction score
I am growing a few different varieties of carrots for the first time and I have been trying to learn what to do about the flowers. I did some internet searching and I am perplexed because the images I see of carrot flowers involve white scattered buds in bunches. The flowers coming out of my plants look like wild orange poppies like we get in the Northwest. Is this something related to a particular variety of carrot or is it possible that the flowers I'm seeing in my garden belong to a different vegetable altogether? We cast seeds for turnips and parsnips nearby, but I don't think they are those flowers, either. ?????

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowers "like wild orange poppies" sure don't sound like carrot flowers.

Nor, do they sound like turnip and parsnip flowers, either.

You know, California poppies have a long tap root, like a carrot . . .

Steve

edited: California poppies also have foliage that is rather carrot-like -- (click).

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The flowers coming out of my plants look like wild orange poppies like we get in the Northwest.
I agree with Steve, sounds like California poppies. I grow them in my garden, they're lovely. If you pull it up, the root will be very orange. I harvest the roots and then dry them, and my hands are always stained orange after handling them.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think I'd save seed from carrots that flowered the first season. Once they flower they are not good for eating. It isn't a trait i would encourage.