Coffee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
No, they didn't abort ANY fruit. Just first one died after 2 years of summer shedding leaves and 2nd one is doing the same, just delaying leaf drop, by two years. 2nd one produced abundant fruit this year, and starting dying back, I Guess due to drought, but not sure.
ALL OTHER TREES Close to them are doing great! :(

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@ducks4you If only the leafs are shedding off the cherry trees / no fruit, then I think you are right about the affects from no water/drought. Have you had a chance to dig around the tree to check the roots . If dry soil and brown roots it’s a gonner. Is the cambium layer in the bark still green? If so they could still have a chance.

Let me see if I got this correct. The leafless cherry trees had flower buds last spring but no fruit, very odd. Were the flowers ok? Any signs of disease, leaf black spot or insect infestation. The only other thing I can think of is it possible they could have been accidentally been sprayed with a herbicide.

I’ve had cherry trees of different types and never experienced leaf drop. I’m stumped!😟
Sorry it’s tough to loose trees. 😢

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not quite ready for coffee and my oolong is a little weak because the water was too much on the warm side of hot. Might have achieved an culinary appropriate temperature when I didn't really mean to ;).

Spent several hours yesterday searching the countryside on the other side of Indianapolis from @Finnie 's neck of the woods. (And, where @seedcorn may be moving to if he ever gets back to TEG to tell us about it. ❔)

History books online and trying to come up with locations and lives of the ancestors' families who lived there 200 years ago. Found some tidbits – good grief, some of them were nutz venturing into hostile Indian country so early!

Had a dream this morning. Does every US state and every Canadian province have a Newport? Well, I have thought about moving to Newport here on the ID/WA(!) border because it's a small town and so well situated in some very nice country. And, it would be some place new. Anyway, in my dream, I show up and there have been built some cute townhouses on a main street since my last visit. I'm thinking that those might be real appropriate for olde, retired people. Maaaybe, I could even build my own! Could I do that??

I go into the hardware store across the street and the guy remembers my name and where I grew up. I had only seen him once before! He is busy with a broom and dustpan and I am so pleased with his friendly personality, I decide to help him sweep the floor — and, wake up.

digitS' and 🎶 the helpful hardware man🎵

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I’m going farther south to Warrick county. Any farther south I’d be in river or Kentucky. Been fighting pneumonia for about 8 weeks so I’m way behind on every. So much for the pneumonia shot.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
NO, the cherry tree looked NORMAL in the Spring, lots of blossoms, Couldn't physically harvest ANYTHING this year, but it would've been a boatload of cherries. By August the tree started deleafing.
I have watered it and it has leafed out 2025 leaves and some blossoms, so it's still alive.
The only thing I can think of to do is to water it deeply 1x/week with a soaker hose. My Oldest soaker hose is coiled around the tree to hit the roots, so that if I forget to bring this hose inside I won't cry about it.
I watched the other cherry tree, now DEAD, go this way and I don't want to lose This one.
ALL.OTHER.TREES.CLOSE BY, the 3 apple trees, the Arbor Vitae, look great and all fruit trees on the propery, 3 apple, 1 pear and 2 peach trees haven't lost any fall leaves Yet. :hu
Maybe it's the quality of the trees, Both purchased at box stores.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn , I can understand about the pneumonia. It's been over 5 years and I wasn't very sick then. But, I ain't much better now ...

You won't be all that far away from another Indiana site, about 100 miles. Salem or, at least, Washington County. The guy near Trafalgar, his father was there in the very early 1800's. This was nearly the time of Tecumseh and Tippecanoe!

Apparently later in life, he moved with another son who was over on the western side of Indianapolis. I'm not sure if I'd have found anything about him except that he was a Revolutionary War veteran from Virginia, at that time.

Latest posts