Dahlias

OSUman

Sprout
Reaction score
My grandparents had some cheap Dahlias planted last year, we didnt get them dug up last fall and they are already popping out of the ground.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Jon.... I'm so glad you posted Connell's new address......I thought they had fallen off the face of the Earth..... I do see that they are down to about 100 varieties.....They use to have tons more. They have quality Dahlia tubers and Glad corms.....and I see that their prices are VERY reasonable. Thanks again, Rusty

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, it is in the 70's here... I think winter is over. Can I try a couple of dahlia's in the ground? They take such a long time to come up- we should be through with frost... or I could start them in pots in the greenhouse?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi lesa, We had 81 degrees here yesterday in Northern Michigan...all time record highs here....I've never seen a March so warm. My front lawn is all green and two weeks ago we had 18 inches of snow in one night. You could start some Dahlias in containers.....I don't know if I would plant in the ground yet.....if your area is anything like here....we could still get some COLD weather in April.....and we have had big snow falls in the first part of May some years. I would ONLY plant (outside).... the tubers that you could afford to loose if the weather decides to flip-flop. I've got large buds on my Lilacs and Magnolias.....Crocuses and Dutch Iris are blooming.....and today is the last day of Winter. Keep us posted! Your Dahlia buddy, Rusty

OSUman

Sprout
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
Hi lesa, We had 81 degrees here yesterday in Northern Michigan...all time record highs here....I've never seen a March so warm. My front lawn is all green and two weeks ago we had 18 inches of snow in one night. You could start some Dahlias in containers.....I don't know if I would plant in the ground yet.....if your area is anything like here....we could still get some COLD weather in April.....and we have had big snow falls in the first part of May some years. I would ONLY plant (outside).... the tubers that you could afford to loose if the weather decides to flip-flop. I've got large buds on my Lilacs and Magnolias.....Crocuses and Dutch Iris are blooming.....and today is the last day of Winter. Keep us posted! Your Dahlia buddy, Rusty
We already have leaves on our trees, and lots of flowers blooming it is amazing.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I knew it was too good to be true.....all of this VERY nice weather and next week we'll be down in the upper 20's at night again.....Mother Nature loves to tease me.....:lol: I'm getting itchy fingers to start planting tubers......

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:
lesa said:
Good thing I took your advice and waited on my dahlia's! Wow, it was tempting!
good thing I listened to the advice on this Forum re weather, back down to cool Temps here in S.W.Ontario :(

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brrrrr......Cold again here in the North.....40 degrees colder than 5 days ago......supposed to be upper 20's tonight. The Dahlia tubers will have to wait again......I hope April doesn't give us some Winter weather.:/

Latest posts