Deer.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the first time I had to put up electric fencing on my daylily fields . I no longer have horses nor dogs, so they have begun to taste test my plants. It is an old electric fence and in seems to have done the trick. I have another bed that I want to electrify. Years ago we had a solar fence and it did not keep our beef cow in, so we switched to a plug in model. I am sure the new solar fences should be a lot better. But I don't want to spend a fortune. Has anyone used a solar charger with success? any recommendations? And no I am not getting a gun.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you put the wire about three feet and put some peanut butter on it from time to time you will find they don't come back. hang strips of white fabric from the wire to show it being there.

we have a seven foot unelectrified fence and it doesn't keep out the other critters i need it to keep out but it does keep out the deer. there's no easy launching points around it so that also helps.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you put the wire about three feet and put some peanut butter on it from time to time you will find they don't come back. hang strips of white fabric from the wire to show it being there.

we have a seven foot unelectrified fence and it doesn't keep out the other critters i need it to keep out but it does keep out the deer. there's no easy launching points around it so that also helps.
I did the peanut butter on my other electric fence. I watched a squirrel climb up, rip it down and run off with it. But that was not my question.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For the first time I had to put up electric fencing on my daylily fields . I no longer have horses nor dogs, so they have begun to taste test my plants. It is an old electric fence and in seems to have done the trick. I have another bed that I want to electrify. Years ago we had a solar fence and it did not keep our beef cow in, so we switched to a plug in model. I am sure the new solar fences should be a lot better. But I don't want to spend a fortune. Has anyone used a solar charger with success? any recommendations? And no I am not getting a gun.
My own electric fences were all battery powered, in some places a single strand of wire, and they were all it took to contain our horses. Neighbors with cattle needed house current or car battery power to keep their cattle in. Deer, on the other hand, would simply jump over electric fences. They moved freely in and out of pastures.

This was before solar powered fences existed, so I've no idea how effective they would be or how strong a charge they would put out.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the same issue with deer . If the deer hit the fence they run and take a huge section out it’s 4 wires ran horizontal top wire hooked to elec. When I go out to feed the horses in the morning if I hear a clicking sound coming from the fence then I know the deer have been around.

The horses are generally very territorial and chase the deer out of our pastures . Fence is hooked up to house current. I usually turn it off during the day when I’m out and about, no fun forgetting its on and get popped. But the horses are contained in their area.

One horse got a bit to smart and learned that the fence wasn’t on (I forgot to turn it back on) and ducked under a gate section with only one wire across for the gate . He is a small Arabian 13 hands and very smart. When one horse is gone the others raise such a ruckus scream whinny I knew something was wrong.

Once I saw he was gone got a bucket of grain and walked toward the field next door and sure enough he heard me rattling the bucket and calling him , he came running over ran right passed me and ducked back under the gate section of the fence back in our pasture. He gave himself away and showed me how he got out and how he got back in. He never did it again…that I know of.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I agree--plug them in. AlTHOUGH where I used to keep my horses the farmer put hotwire in my horses' turnout. He didn't like replacing the boards kicked out bc he didn't bother to build them INSIDE of the horizontals, therefore they could easily get kicked out.
One day I found my docile paint walking around with broken piece of (cold) hotwire wound around his back leg. :eek::eek::eek:
I.was.livid
I was always suspicious about solar powered hotwire, that it would kick out and a horse could be injured or they could escape.
Here is what they do with their herb garden locally at Allerton, IL.
The chainlink fence is to keep out deer, btw.
ALSO, this series is over 30yo, and Tinisha Spain is THE BEST host they have ever had. She puts together very watchable programs.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To keep deer out of my garden I use tree branches layer out next to the outer side of the fence. This discourages them from hopping over with limited space leap from or to land. Keeps the dogs inside and horses and deer out. Use a hot fence for the perimeter of the property .

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree--plug them in. AlTHOUGH where I used to keep my horses the farmer put hotwire in my horses' turnout. He didn't like replacing the boards kicked out bc he didn't bother to build them INSIDE of the horizontals, therefore they could easily get kicked out.
One day I found my docile paint walking around with broken piece of (cold) hotwire wound around his back leg. :eek::eek::eek:
I.was.livid
I was always suspicious about solar powered hotwire, that it would kick out and a horse could be injured or they could escape.
Here is what they do with their herb garden locally at Allerton, IL.
The chainlink fence is to keep out deer, btw.
ALSO, this series is over 30yo, and Tinisha Spain is THE BEST host they have ever had. She puts together very watchable programs.
I have used electric fence for horses for 30 plus years and have no idea what 'kick-out' is. I was looking for low cost, low work, fencing. Chain link is not something I am interested in. My current plug in electric fence works for deer prevention. I just have another important bed that I want to electrify, far from the other gardens.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
To keep deer out of my garden I use tree branches layer out next to the outer side of the fence. This discourages them from hopping over with limited space leap from or to land. Keeps the dogs inside and horses and deer out. Use a hot fence for the perimeter of the property .