whats digging up my potatoes but not eating them??

trickomal

Sprout
Reaction score
1726518740012.jpeg
1726518762498.jpeg
1726518775721.jpeg
1726518784665.jpeg

Is this the work of a mole?? Dozens of spots like pictured all over my around 5 acre potato field, just dug up the potatoes but didn’t bite into any… thanks in advance…

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m sorry to say I have no idea as to your dilemma but I will give you the trophy for “most unusual first post!
Welcome to the forum; from Alaska.

*on edit;
That last picture looks a lot like where foxes have dug up a small critter, voles mice etc. not knowing much about your set up or location i just toss that out. They will dig to eat some bugs as well;
In the next post @flowerbug ask if you can see any tracks? That would go a long way’s to “tracking down” your culprit.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 68956View attachment 68957View attachment 68958View attachment 68959

Is this the work of a mole?? Dozens of spots like pictured all over my around 5 acre potato field, just dug up the potatoes but didn’t bite into any… thanks in advance…

sorry, i won't do it again! ok, that was a joke, i didn't really do it...

i doubt moles would dig like that, raccoons, skunks, possums, etc. will dig for worms and grubs and perhaps that is what is going on here, but it could be some other creature. since you've not included a general location we can't really narrow it down much.

can you see any tracks at all?

p.s. welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from the Pacific Northwest!
I once experienced a vole invasion in my garden where the voles broke each of my pea plants at the stem at about 3 inches up and just left all of the pea pods untouched laying on the ground.

trickomal

Sprout
Reaction score
sorry, i won't do it again! ok, that was a joke, i didn't really do it...

i doubt moles would dig like that, raccoons, skunks, possums, etc. will dig for worms and grubs and perhaps that is what is going on here, but it could be some other creature. since you've not included a general location we can't really narrow it down much.

can you see any tracks at all?

p.s. welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)
nope no tracks at all... cant be anything much bigger then in the line of a gopher... some of the dig sites have a bit of tunneling, an i cant say they are any bigger then a quarter...

Latest posts