Deer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here is a properly built horse fence.
1726237012525.png

Notice that This is the walkway between two fenced in pastures.
If a horse kicks a horizontal panel built like This the panel will collapse but still keep the horses inside.
IF the panels are placed on the Outside of the upright vertical posts, the panel will, when kicked, fall off, and your horses could escape.
It really makes a difference.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here's wishing you good Luck, sincerely!
I have never used them. I am not a fan of electric fencing. I have grabbed hotwire and it runs right through you. I believe that someone with a weak heart could have a heart attack from them.
This farmer where I used to rent horse space just didn't want to be bothered to build correctly.
MY fencing is metal pipe and neither the horses or the deer believe that it looks jumpable.
Everybody should make their OWN choices, IMHO.
:hugs

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To keep deer out of one of the gardens we had we used Emerald Green Arborvitae trees planted really close together as a fence on one side and in the areas with no trees there was a wooden fence. This did a good job keeping the deer out of the garden, but they ate all of the flowers and chewed up the bushes in our front yard! 🤣

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's wishing you good Luck, sincerely!
I have never used them. I am not a fan of electric fencing. I have grabbed hotwire and it runs right through you. I believe that someone with a weak heart could have a heart attack from them.
This farmer where I used to rent horse space just didn't want to be bothered to build correctly.
MY fencing is metal pipe and neither the horses or the deer believe that it looks jumpable.
Everybody should make their OWN choices, IMHO.
:hugs
Not sure what Hotwire it. I am guessing it is stronger voltage for the pros. My 16 year old grandson touched the wire recently. He had heard since he was a baby, "don't tough the electric wire." He said to me "that's it? That is what I have been worried about all this time?" Of course if he were 4 it would have seemed worse to him.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
To keep deer out of one of the gardens we had we used Emerald Green Arborvitae trees planted really close together as a fence on one side and in the areas with no trees there was a wooden fence. This did a good job keeping the deer out of the garden, but they ate all of the flowers and chewed up the bushes in our front yard! 🤣
They find arborvitae quite tasty around here. And I need it to work tomorrow, not in a few years. But otherwise a nice idea.

Shades-of-Oregon

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dahlia I did plant photenia shrubs close together. The deer just made a path between them . I guess they have been here before we were . We live next to a forest. Lots of deer and all critters from the forest come visit . The ground squirrels are the worst. planyskyyd deters deer in areas impossible to fence . Hotwire doesn’t deter the deer they just run right thru it and then the horses get out.